Newbie here..

Discussion in 'Community' started by Whistleway, Feb 16, 2005.

1. Whistleway macrumors 6502

Feb 16, 2005
    Hello all..

I been reading for a while, and actually been cowering to sign-up.. i am still on windows and hoping to switch..

one question, when i sign up, it kept saying my gmail acct or the domain in banned or something like that. any ideas?
  2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    Welcome! :) Erm, what are you trying to sign up for? If you're able to post under this name (whistleway), looks like you have an account.
  3. saunders45 macrumors 6502a

Jul 29, 2004
    Not sure about the gmail account, but welcome aboard. The people around here are friendly and smart and can probably answer any questions you may have.
  4. iBook macrumors regular

May 3, 2004
    On a tugboat
    I think the restriction may have to do with controlling sign-up privileges based on previous problems from certain domains. I'm speculating here, but I think it would have to be for spam control.

I've heard or read (hopefully not imagined!) that Yahoo! and AOL accounts will sometimes get bounced. I guess people use these accounts to get User Names and Passwords and then visit the site to post links to goods and services from which they'd profit if anyone bought rather than discuss Apple and the Macintosh.
  5. daveL macrumors 68020

Jun 18, 2003
    In any case, you're here. Welcome aboard! So you say your going to get a Mac Mini and switch soon, right?
  6. ravenvii macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    Melenkurion Skyweir
    Hmm, I use my gmail account as my email address for my account (although I didn't register with it). Do they block registering with some domains, but allow a change to any domain once you're registered?
  7. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004

Don't worry -- all sheep who have strayed are welcomed into the flock. :)

Hi there...
  8. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    Welcome Whistleway. Hope that you will not have any further problems. Now you have made the first step toward switching. Any thoughts on what Mac that you might consider?
  9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    Buy them all, buy them all! :D

Just kidding. ;)

I actually lurked here for about two months, getting info on buying, surfing from a PC, and never really got an account until after I got my iBook. So you're in good company. Well, not me, but I bet there are other people who had that experience who are good company. :p
  10. gallagb macrumors 6502

Apr 28, 2004
    i think i'm still lurking...

welcome indeed- love how no one has really answered your question

my vote- PM a MoD and ask them-

and yes- these folks are full of useful (and useless) advice

just speak slowly and clearly when you post questions...sometimes the speed readers miss words

but Congrats on your landmark decision! welcome to apple!