Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MasterAbacus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 14, 2005
Hi all, im totally new to the Ibook stuff, but ive been passed a what ive been told a Faulty G3 Ibook.

Heres the list of problems:

Upon turning on (Booting) all i get is a folder in the middle of the screen that changes from a question mark to two faces.... ant thats it...

The CD drawer will not stay closed.... anyone know of where i can buy spare internal cd drive from. (Would it be a cd drive or a cd writer)

Thanks in advance.... Looking forward to learning....

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
Its missing an OS (the reason for the flashing folder with the Mac OS face on it), so you'll need to load an OS. I would recommend OS X.3 if you have 256MB of RAM Minimum in it. The CDROM Drive, you'll have to look on eBay for that, or if you do a Google search for Mac Parts, you'll get lots of places that sell parts for Macs. If you can find a tray load CDRW Drive, or CDRW/DVD Combo Drive, you can install that as well. Changing the optical drive on that isn't too bad. You will have to partially take the iBook apart to get the old one out. Just take your time and take good notes where the screws go and you'll be ok. What I do is I have a clean sheet of paper and then I take the screw(s) out, scotch tape them to the paper, write above them where they go, note how many screws there is, and what kind of screws they are. Makes putting it back together a lot easier.

If you need any help with changing the CDROM drive in your iBook, post be in a you'll get plenty of help. This is something that has been done many times before throughout the forum.

Good Luck!

macEfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
thaking apart an ibook is not that easy... take your time, if you rush , you could bust it even more

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
macEfan said:
thaking apart an ibook is not that easy... take your time, if you rush , you could bust it even more

I second that!

Its critical that you take your time! I'd plan on at least 2+ hours for the entire optical drive swap to do it the right way.

MasterAbacus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 14, 2005
Ive noticed the CD drive has just a broken locking clip.... surely i could just buy one of these from somewhere? anyone?

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
You're better off just to replace the drive. Who knows why that clip was broken in the first place.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.