Newbie: in iCal, where is the "email" field label?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Argelius, Jun 21, 2005.

1. Argelius macrumors 6502

Jun 16, 2005
    This is probably a really stupid question, but in iCal, I can't figure out how to get an "email" label for the field for email addresses. (The little up and down arrows down reveal an "email" choice).

I've also noticed that the address book in iMail isn't finding any of the email addresses (that I imported via a sync with a Palm). Perhaps this is because the email addresses end up going into a field called "other"...?

2. stridey macrumors 65816

Jan 21, 2005
    Massachusetts, Connecticut
    I'm not sure I quite understand either of your questions, but one of the things you should know is that there's only one address book in OS X. iCal and Mail both use the email addresses associated with the contacts you enter in Address Book.
  3. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

Mar 29, 2004
    Boston, MA

i,m not on my mac, but in ical you click edit (at the bottom of the window) to edit the fields. then there is somewhere a + sign that adds fields to your adresses. i think its a little green +. if thats not there, then there is in the menue bar on top of the screen something that says "add field" (in edit/new field or similar).

hope that helps. when i'm on my mac i write something clearer.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    I'm so confused. Are you sure you're talking about iCal and not Address Book? I have never seen an e-mail field in an iCal meeting / event.

In Address Book, the e-mail field should never be labeled e-mail. The e-mail addresses should go in fields marked "work," "home," "other," etc, which come after the default phone number fields and before the default field "friend." The reason the e-mail option is greyed out is most likely because there is already at least one e-mail address field (home) on the card by default, even if it is blank. If you click the green plus next to the home address while editing the card, you can add another, which can be work, etc.

Look in Address Book for the e-mail addresses that came from your Palm. What field are they in? Are they there at all? If not, you may have to play with settings in the Palm conduit (I don't have a Palm, so I can't help there).\

EDIT: Also in Mail's preferences, make sure that in the Composing pane, Automatically Complete Addresses is checked.