Newbie iPod Backup Question

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Edwin the Elder, Sep 19, 2006.

1. Edwin the Elder macrumors member

I will likely end my .Mac subscription soon. I have used "Backup" to backup my digital photo collection onto DVD but I've heard it will not restore unless I have an active .Mac subscription.

I have also downlaoded my photos onto my iPod with Video. I had presumed that this would serve as an effective backup in case of a hard disk failure. But I seem to recall reading someplace that this might not be true.

In the case of a complete failure where I had to reformat my hard drive, if I connected my iPod and launched iTunes would it sync the photos and music back to my iMac?

Thanks.

2. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

if you have it set to "automatically update songs" playlists etc. and you connect it to an iMac that doesnt have the songs, it will probably wipe everything off your iPod so that it matches iTunes :eek: ( i think) i know, at least that's the way it was on my old windows box. so you should change the preferences to "manually update songs" that way it you'd have time to copy everything back off. i'm really not sure about any of this though (i havent had an ipod since i got my mac):eek: i really need to get one, so check with someone else too.

3. Edwin the Elder thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, what about iPhoto? I suppose I could manually transfer the photo files.

4. Edwin the Elder thread starter macrumors member

I take that back

Looking at the iPod in the Finder there does not appear to be any files (.jpg, .mp3, etc.) I could transfer. It seesm to be a database.