Newbie iPod Charging Question – Charging without a computer

Discussion in 'iPod' started by florencevassy, Dec 1, 2005.

1. florencevassy macrumors regular

Jun 1, 2004
    Princeton, NJ
    For Christmas I will be buying an iPod (probably a nano) for my friend who doesn’t use the computer that much, and he doesn’t even know what iTunes is. :eek:

I will be buying him a bunch of used CDs and copying them to the iPod.

So without a computer, what is the best way to charge the iPod? What devices would you recommend?

I hope someone can help me please. Sorry if this has been covered before but I really couldn't find anything on this.

Any suggestions are appreciated, thanks!
  2. rosalindavenue macrumors 6502a

Dec 13, 2003
    Virginia, USA
    You can buy a wall charger from Apple. iPods used to come with them.

You can't direct link to the apple store, but take a look there-- search for "iPod USB power adapter" and you will find what you need.
  3. wwooden macrumors 68000

Jul 26, 2004
    Burlington, VT
    Ummm...this is just a shot, but maybe the apple iPod USB charger would work????
  4. applemacdude macrumors 68040

Mar 26, 2001
    Over The Rainbow
    buy a non oem one from ebay or someting. Not only are they less expensive but they work the same....
  5. balamw Moderator

Staff Member

Aug 16, 2005
    New England
    Besides the wall chargers, don't forget that you can also get car chargers which might be useful if your friend will use his new nano in a car much.

My iPods are generally charged by my Belkin Auto Kit over my 1hour+ commuter. The AutoKit which includes charging and an amplifier which helps the Sony cassette adapter I use work much better than straight from the iPod.

6. babyduck macrumors newbie

Dec 1, 2005
    ipod work ok without a computer?

I have a similar question. I'm considering buying my first ipod for my son. He is moving away and won't have a computer. We have a ton of songs on our itunes and here's my question. If we initially download all these songs, can he keep them on his ipod without having to re-sync from time to time? (for instance when my pda loses its charge, all the data gets erased and I have to re-sync to my computer). Is ipod the same way?

Hope this makes sense!

7. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

Jul 28, 2003
    Citizens Bank Park
    Everything will stay until you manually restore the ipod or it crashes (which is rare, but it does happen). No need to worry about re-syncing or losing power.
  8. tag macrumors 6502a

Apr 29, 2005
    PA, US
    No this shouldn't be a problem, I've had my iPod completely drained of battery power many a times over the last few years, and never once did it ever lose any songs/data. As long as he doesn't plug his iPod into someone elses computer (say to charge it in that manner, as that can erase his songs and then sync it with that computers songs) he should be fine.

EDIT: Ah just beat by grapes911.:p