Newbie iTunes Mac question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by miracleboy, Jul 7, 2005.

1. miracleboy macrumors newbie

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but I have searched the forums and haven't found the answer - maybe I just can't see it!

I have recently switched from PC to Mac and copied my mp3s over from the PC to the 'Music' folder in finder.

Then I added the music into iTunes using the 'add folder' option and it copied all the mp3s into the Music iTunes folder.

Does this mean I now have two copies of the music? Should I import it into iTunes directly from the PC rather than copying it from PC to Mac first?

2. kronos2611 macrumors member

At the moment - yes you will have two copies. Going forward if you go into the preferences panel (iTunes Menu then Preferences) then select advanced you can de-select the Copy files to iTunes Music folder when adding to Library and further mp3 'imports' will stay where they are.

3. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

That is very likely, see if "Keep iTunes Music folderorganized" is checked in iTunes Preferences->Advanced. (And of course if you have two iTunes Music folders, your old one which you moved directly in ~/Music and the one you've just imported in ~/Music/iTunes/, maybe...?)
    Yes... I thought I had a nice Apple support article for you but I cannot find it right now. Try searching a bit on Apple's iTunes support pages... :eek:

4. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Here's your options.

- Delete the copy you made, and run from the copy iTunes made. This will let iTunes manage your files, which is pretty handy. Since iTunes already copied the files itself, you don't need the copy you made.

- Turn off iTunes' library management, in preferences. Delete all the songs in iTunes, then add them again, from the copy you made. Then when you want to add a song, you'll need to store the file somewhere permanant. The copy you made is the source of the actual files iTunes is using.

Personally, I like having iTunes manage my library. When I add an MP3 file, I can just throw it away, since I know iTunes already made it's own copy...

5. miracleboy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick replies guys, I think I will go with the second option and let iTunes manage my files. As everything is in the library now, I will delete the originals.