newbie just need a tip!!!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by fishbonered, Jul 6, 2004.

1. fishbonered macrumors newbie

hy guys,
    i was using a VAIO and now i just get a pb 12".
    it was running well until this morning:
    yesterday i used it narmally and i shut it down normally, but this morning when i wanted to switch it on nothing happen. I mean the "ON" button didn't react .
    the adaptator was plugged (green light) but nothing happen .
    i'd like to know if the occur to sby else and what is the procedure to make it alive again.
    thanks for the answer.

2. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Make sure your battery is firmly settled in its slot (remove it and replace it securely). If that doesn't work, try pressing and holding the power key for several seconds, your computer may have freezed up, and holding down the key for a long period will override it. If that doesn't work, you'll probably need to reset the computer (I'm not sure where the reset key is on the 12-incher--it's a little button with a triangle-in-a-circle icon, probably somewhere around the side of the computer). Just press that key with the tip of a ball-point pen and it should do the trick.

Also, you should know that the adapter can be plugged in and lit and still not be charging the unit--you need to make sure it's *completely* inserted (but this wouldn't be why it's not powering up).

3. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

I will point out that shutting your computer down is a pointless excersize in overbooting, you can just put it to sleep or close it, then you don't have to wait for it to boot up every day. Eats only a tiny bit of power to stay asleep. Then, you just tap a key and it wakes back up... It's sort of the preferred method for most OS X users now...

Hope you get the power issue figured out...

paul

4. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

I cannot help beyond what the above posters have said, however, I am curious as to where the reset button is on a 12" PB. Does it have one? I know that on my last machine (iBook G4 12" 800) there was no physical reset button. Is that the case on the Rev C 12" PowerBook?

5. m.r.m. macrumors regular

6. Finiksa macrumors 6502a

Finiksa

There is not physical reset button on recent iBook/Powerbooks, you just hold the power key for about 5 seconds.

If you want to reset the PMU hold Control-Option-Shift-Power.

7. Finiksa macrumors 6502a

Finiksa

If you want to know if pressing the power button is having any effect hit the Caps Lock key afterward, if the Caps Lock light comes on the machine is powering on but there appears to some other serious problem. It could be any number of things however.

8. fishbonered thread starter macrumors newbie

hey i know i'll look a bit stupid but i need to know key is the "option key"?
    afterwards i took a look at my battery and it seems like it's not charging so how can i force the pb12" to switch on?

9. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

That's the one that says Option on it, with Control (ctrl) to the left, and Command (Goofy symbol and the Apple on it) to the right.

Attached Files:

10. Finiksa macrumors 6502a

Finiksa

The Option key is next to the Command/Apple key. I guess it may have a different name on a French keyboard.

Sounds like you may have a a problem with the DC board, which means that power from the adapter isn't being passed from the plug to the logic board and battery.

The only solution is to take it into an Apple service centre. If it's a new Powerbook then you're under warranty so just give AppleCare France a call: 0825 089 659.