Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

euphoriasonic

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 8, 2006
LA
Hello all, first Mac Forums post here. I recently purchased (and registered) Logic Pro 7, that I am running on my 12" PowerBook G4, with 1.25 GB of RAM, MOTU Traveler (192Khz - 8 x analog inputs) interface and LaCie external firewire SATA rack-mount drive. I have an Audio Engineering degree in Recording Arts, from Full Sail. Was trained on Pro Tools HD systems, SSL and Amek boards, etc;. Pretty much all new to Logic Pro 7...

I can change track names, select the audio track number, and solo and mute tracks. I have imported two audio tracks, that i'm trying to edit and fade together. In Pro Tools, one track is above the other, like in the arrange window for Logic. All tracks are played, unless a solo, mute or "voice" is un/activated in the program. However, I have two tracks in Logic, and only one will play. I can solo the other one, and it will play... but then the first one is inaudible. I can mute the first one, and then the second one will play. How come they won't both play at the same time? I'm confused, and searched the Logic Pro 7 manual for help, with no luck. It has to be something simple, like a preference i have turned on/off. Any help please? Thanks... :)

-Jeff

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2005
It sounds like both audio clips are assigned to the same "Audio Track" in Logic. For example, they both might be assigned to Audio 1. Do they both have the same track name? If so, you will need to assign one of them to a diferent Audio Track. Click and hold on the name of the audio track (just to the left the audio clip waveform, not on the waveform block itself) and a menu will come up where you can select a different audio track.

euphoriasonic

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 8, 2006
LA
-Jeff said:
It sounds like both audio clips are assigned to the same "Audio Track" in Logic. For example, they both might be assigned to Audio 1. Do they both have the same track name? If so, you will need to assign one of them to a diferent Audio Track. Click and hold on the name of the audio track (just to the left the audio clip waveform, not on the waveform block itself) and a menu will come up where you can select a different audio track.
That was exactly my thoughts. I have to re-open the project, and just start over i think. They are both named differently, one track was placed under "audio 1" and the other track under "audio 2". Then i renamed them both. I will try to re-import them, onto seperate tracks again. thanks :)

euphoriasonic

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 8, 2006
LA
ok, still not working. tried re-importing the audio into new tracks, and created a whole new session, twice. Still won't let me play both tracks at once... track 1 just covers up track 2 completely, and now i can't even solo track 2 and hear it... just silence. really weird, what am i missing here?!?

all i'm doing is importing an audio dialogue to "audio track one" and a music mix to "audio track two". there's no reason why this shouldn't work... really confused?!?

euphoriasonic

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 8, 2006
LA
zimv20 said:
yep, this is why pro tools won me over -- it worked as i expected it to.
:confused:
i have pro tools, and using it now to do my work...
but i bought logic because it's better. i know it's something stupid, i just can't seem to figure it out... anyone have any logical ideas, please?!?

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
euphoriasonic said:
but i bought logic because it's better.
better? in what way? i'm not a rampant defender of digi by any means, but i'm really curious how someone can simply declare one or the other "better", rather than concentrating on strengths and weaknesses or its applicability for a certain task.

euphoriasonic

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 8, 2006
LA
zimv20 said:
better? in what way? i'm not a rampant defender of digi by any means, but i'm really curious how someone can simply declare one or the other "better", rather than concentrating on strengths and weaknesses or its applicability for a certain task.
better?? = for the money, you get 192Khz capabilities and the most advanced midi editing and audio mastering tools. The complexity and difficulty level is way beyond that of Pro Tools, simply because there is just that much more there to understand. You can't buy Pro Tools for less than a grand, and be able to record film audio in the exact same frame rate the camera is shooting at, or even directly connect to time code and sync so that it records at the very same time - making for the easiest post production ever possible - NO, you have to spend at least $5-6 grand just to get the 192 interface capability in HD, and then boats more on they external sync interface and DV toolkit packages, as well as extra plug-ins. I got Logic and the MOTU Traveler (8 x analog inputs / 192Khz / word clock-adat-lightpipe-aes/ebu I/O / and all bus-powered for mobility) for less than $2 grand. beat that with a stick.

It's just that Logic has so much going on, it's easy to overlook something probably as simple as my problem. It's really bugging me... i know it's silly something, but i can't seem to locate the reason why it's only outputting one track audio (even checked the audio mixer outputs, they're set correctly), and covering the other?!? Help, pls :D

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
euphoriasonic said:
i know it's silly something, but i can't seem to locate the reason why it's only outputting one track audio
please reread your argument for logic being better and consider that the case you're making largely centers on specific uses: syncing to film and midi.

i do neither, most of what i do has to do w/ recording audio and mixing to stereo. typical band stuff. for me, PT is better (and you can get into pro tools for less than a grand, btw). it's also a better choice when one wants be compatible w/ other studios.

finally, PT was better for me because it took me about 15 seconds to figure out how to record and play back an audio signal. you're still struggling to do that in logic, so i ask you how an app which you can't use can be "better"?

euphoriasonic

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 8, 2006
LA
dude, pls go away. i'm not gonna sit here and argue with you about Logic being better. It does everything Pro Tools does, and more. so it's BETTER. Yeah, Pro Tools is simple to use, and it's an industry standard. I OWN IT, and USE IT. The MBOX is $450 at only 48Khz, and the 002 rack around $1000 is 96Khz. Logic is not only 192Khz ready out-of-the box and even plays through your computer soundcard, but hooks up to many more possible interfaces (including DIGI hardware - but PT won't except anything BUT Digi hardware)So, I also bought Logic, because it's BETTER. it's for the next LEVEL in Production... it just requires more time and patience to get used to, because it's more advanced. If you're not going to help me with my problem, please go seek a software argument elsewhere, until you know what you're talking about. Thanks for wasting my time and thread space :p

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
euphoriasonic said:
dude, pls go away. i'm not gonna sit here and argue with you about Logic being better.
you're the one who made the claim. i think it's hilarious that you're defending a program you can't even figure out.

how much did you pay for that full sail education, anyway?

Sundance Kid

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2005
Canada
zimv20 said:
yep, this is why pro tools won me over -- it worked as i expected it to.

Notice how what you said didn't help him at all, and only started an argument. Now Euphoriasonic wants the thread shut down. Macrumors is a place for help, not a place to make snide comments. So please, just keep your rudeness to yourself.

(btw, i read this thread because i know a friend who uses Logic for a living....)

euphoriasonic

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 8, 2006
LA
Sundance Kid said:
Notice how what you said didn't help him at all, and only started an argument. Now Euphoriasonic wants the thread shut down. Macrumors is a place for help, not a place to make snide comments. So please, just keep your rudeness to yourself.

(btw, i read this thread because i know a friend who uses Logic for a living....)
Thank you Sundance. I also use my DAW programs for my living, as an audio editor and engineer. If anyone does have any help for my peculiar issue, i'd really appreciate it. :)

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
Sundance Kid said:
Notice how what you said didn't help him at all, and only started an argument.
actually, the post of mine you quoted was me being sympathetic, as i've been through the same thing and found logic to be a little confusing on the issue.

the "argument" didn't start until someone made an unsupportable claim that one product is better than the other. as i'm wont to do in such circumstances, i called him on it. maybe it'll save some poor sucker from buying logic based only on one guy's assertion that it's "better". you know, it being MR and me being helpful and all.

Kernow

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2005
Kingston-Upon-Thames
Before you close it - try this:

It sounds like you have only one audio object in the Environment window (or you have assigned both tracks to the same audio object). I have just opened Logic and this is the effect you get if this happens.

If you open your environment window (Windows>Environment) and navigate to the Audio layer via the box on the left hand side, see if you have more than one audio object. If not, create a new one (New>Audio object)

Then, in the arrange window, click and hold down on the track name and navigate to the audio object you want to assign the track to. Make sure these are different.

This should work. If not, come back and we'll try something else.

euphoriasonic

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 8, 2006
LA
k. checked that each track has it's own "audio object" in the environment. However, only the one track is still playing... nothing muted, nothing solo'd. the audio level meter is displaying the same audio signal on both tracks (even though they are on different tracks - 1 & 2 - and named seperately), for some reason?!?

Trying to read up on layers and the environment, do they need seperate layers, that doesn't sound right?!?

Kernow

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2005
Kingston-Upon-Thames
euphoriasonic said:
k. checked that each track has it's own "audio object" in the environment. However, only the one track is still playing... nothing muted, nothing solo'd. the audio level meter is displaying the same audio signal on both tracks (even though they are on different tracks - 1 & 2 - and named seperately), for some reason?!?

Trying to read up on layers and the environment, do they need seperate layers, that doesn't sound right?!?

They won't need separate layers - these are just a way of filtering what you can see in the Environment window.

Have you double checked that the tracks are actually assigned to the different audio objects?

I will carry on playing with Logic to find out what else it could be.

euphoriasonic

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 8, 2006
LA
Kernow said:
Have you double checked that the tracks are actually assigned to the different audio objects?

I will carry on playing with Logic to find out what else it could be.
Thanks, i really appreciate your help. I definately checked the environment, like you said. double clicking on each track name in the arrange window, brings up the environment (which for the audio tracks, is just like the audio mixer - channel strips), and each one is named (1. dialogue and 2. intro music). 1. is assigned to Track one, and 2. is assigned to track 2.

Back in the arrange window, holding down on the name will reveal the audio menu, and they each point to their seperately named tracks. As i mentioned, track one's audio signel meter, in both the arrange and environment window while playing, shows the same signal on both channels... instead of being two totally different signals, as one track is "dialogue" and the other is actually "intro music" - trying to mix them together. :confused:

Kernow

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2005
Kingston-Upon-Thames
Hmm - sounds odd. I'm sure you're right and it's one simple thing we're overlooking.

Are you importing this from another app, or are these raw audio files you are bringing in?

Whenever Logic has flummoxed me in the past, I've always started completely from scratch, i.e. open a new session, delete all tracks and all objects in the environment, and then build the session up from the ground, creating individual audio objects as I need them and new tracks as I need them. It's a pain in the arse, but can eliminate some errors.

Another thing to try might be to quit logic, trash the logic preferences and restart incase something has become corrupted.

I am off to college in a moment, but I will ask around to see if anyone has any advice (I'm studying audio engineering, so someone should know). I'll check in when I get back.

euphoriasonic

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 8, 2006
LA
Kernow said:
Hmm - sounds odd. I'm sure you're right and it's one simple thing we're overlooking.

Are you importing this from another app, or are these raw audio files you are bringing in?

Whenever Logic has flummoxed me in the past, I've always started completely from scratch, i.e. open a new session, delete all tracks and all objects in the environment, and then build the session up from the ground, creating individual audio objects as I need them and new tracks as I need them. It's a pain in the arse, but can eliminate some errors.
Yea, i tried starting the session over 3 different times, however still same issue... just odd. Yes, they're straight audio files, 16-bit 44100 .wav tracks - reading directly from my LaCie SATA external. They load up perfectly fine and mix well in Pro Tools, which is what i've been using for the last two days, cuz i can't seem to get them to work in Logic at the moment... and it has to be something down-right silly, in front of me most-likely. I'm waiting on some replies from audio friends at the moment, as well. Thanks for your time and help :D

howesey

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2005
euphoriasonic said:
dude, pls go away. i'm not gonna sit here and argue with you about Logic being better. It does everything Pro Tools does, and more. so it's BETTER. Yeah, Pro Tools is simple to use, and it's an industry standard. I OWN IT, and USE IT.
I wouldn't say it is industry standard. I know a lot of people that are trying to get out of Pro Tools. Quite a lot of people are switching to Logic. I have asked people why and they find PT very limiting and not keeping up with other sequences.

As for the question, I'm new to Logic also. I'm still getting to grips with MIDI in Logic so I havn't really had experience in audio.

euphoriasonic

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 8, 2006
LA
Found my problem. So, track one's audio was covering up track 2, right? well, i just realized that while trying to import a stereo .wav file, it only filled up one MONO audio track. then upon playing the track and viewing the track mixer, it was indeed covering up track 2. NO waveform is displayed, noted or in anyway shown to extend over track 2, besides the signal level meter movement, in-time with track one.

Figured out why i couldn't hear track 2 while track one was playing now... because track one was a stereo track, and was unnoticeably covering up track two's voice with the second part of track one. Odd that Logic won't show the waveform over track 2. Is there a track setup feature in Logic, that makes tracks stereo instead of mono? This Logic Pro 7 manual book confuses me more and more when i read, versus trying to figure it out on my own....

Thanks for any help/suggestions :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.