Newbie looking for Mac equivalents of PC software

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by pcbogert, Mar 7, 2007.

1. pcbogert macrumors newbie

Hopefully freeware . . .

1. A program to edit WMA files and export them as MP3 files.
    2. Program to take the place of MS Money - stock & investment options not needed, just account registers and downloading from banks.

Thanks for suggestions!

2. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-pcbogert

1. I use Quicktime Pro for edit and export, and Flip4Mac plug-in to Quicktime to read WMV files. Works great!

2. One word: Quicken.

3. pcbogert thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow - thanks for the fast response.

I looked over Quicktime Pro and it will import WMA but not export MP3, unless I misread something.

People have been barfing all over Quicken 2007. Is it the advanced features that bug people, or is the dissatisfaction overstated?

4. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

5. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-pcbogert

Sure it'll export mp3. On the export, you need to tell it you are exporting audio, and the option will show - unless it is a protected file.

As for barfing all over Quicken. I'll admit, I'm still running 2005 as I see no need to upgrade yet, but I believe the indigestion does come from a little bloat, and the clunkyness that comes with it. But for basics, it's very good, and youncan invoke the other features as you wish later.

6. Slumbercub macrumors regular

You can find a lot of applications you may need at the Apple website 'Made4Mac' section or I find this site very useful:

http://www.eskimo.com/~pristine/

For personal finance software, I recommend iBank.

7. tilman macrumors regular

I'm using it. It's not perfect, but it works. It's a little slow to start up, maybe because it is not an Universal Binary and I'm on an C2D iMac.

8. lamina macrumors 68000

lamina

Picasa for Windows is surprisingly iPhoto-like. I'm not sure of its editing capabilities (Mac user), but from what I've seen it's pretty awesome for organization.