newbie mac guy -Bootcamp v. Parallels..?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by trickstern, Apr 14, 2006.

1. trickstern macrumors newbie

Apr 14, 2006
    hi all-

cool site -

just splurged on the macbookpro - main use will be for lots o' photoshop work and some ms office work -

gotta go dual platform asap (cant afford to replace all my windows phot programs, etc) , and am wondering which is the way to go: boot camp or parallel?

if i go with parallel will i need to buy the version of xp sp2 which is on its way to me (and i guess i can return) - or can my old dell back up cd with sp1 work?

any other thoughts/advice to a mac newbie?

2. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Apr 13, 2006
    I don't have a Mac yet but do have experience with Dell Computers. I don't think a Dell copy of XP sp2 will work, because I'm fairly certain its bios locked. Meaning it will only install on a Dell computer after checking the bios on the machine.

You will likely need a retail version of XP sp2 or a generic OEM version that you can purchase from various venders such as Newegg.
  3. PuNkErX macrumors member

Nov 16, 2004
    Either way you go you will need to buy a full version of windows xp. IF you are going to do some light photoshop work, etc then Parallel's will work great, but if you are going to do some heavy work, then I would use bootcamp.

Also remember that Parallel is still beta software, there has been a few times where I get Kernel Panics, or restarts because of it. So if it's more mission critical stuff, either save often or use bootcamp
  4. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

Jul 28, 2003
    Citizens Bank Park
    Boot camp is still beta too. I wouldn't rely on Boot camp or Parallel for anything business related.
  5. trickstern thread starter macrumors newbie

Apr 14, 2006
    thanks guys/gals - much appreciated - boot camp it will be
  6. plarusa macrumors member

Feb 28, 2006
    I installed plain XP the other day on parallel. It runs just fine.
  7. MRU macrumors demi-god

Aug 23, 2005
    Define Fine? No Audio, Limited Graphics, No USB, No Airport, Ropey Network period....... Other than those things which make a working OS, yeah Parallels is sweet :rolleyes: