Newbie: Photoshop Question (Urgent)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by HermanTheGerman, May 1, 2006.

1. HermanTheGerman macrumors member

Apr 24, 2006
    How can I add text to a scanned-in document? I have a form (pdf file format) for an agency with blank spaces to write in.

How can I do that using Photoshop?

2. UKnjb macrumors 6502a

May 23, 2005
    London, UK
    Open your .pdf document in PS (are you using CS). File > Open > <filename>

Select the text icon on the PS palette

View attachment 46296

Put the cursor onto your document and drag a rectabgle over the ? box that you are suppose to fill in.
    Type your text, selecting the font, colour and size to fit (formatting palette)
    When finished, click on the Pointer tool.
    Adjust the position of the text box (fine adjustment by using the Up/Down arrow keys)
    Repeat for the extra ? boxes that you have to fill in.

You will see that each extra text box that you create will be in an extra layer. Ignore those until the end of your text entries (but save your work periodically).

When you have finished, Layer > Merge Visible

The File > Save As

This is the way I would do it. Doubtless there are a squillion others and you will hear of those.

Get back if you have any problems. :)
  3. HermanTheGerman thread starter macrumors member

Apr 24, 2006
    Thanks for the fast reply! It has worked out for me...
  4. UKnjb macrumors 6502a

May 23, 2005
    London, UK
    I'm glad it worked OK. :)

Alternatives for what I imagine you wanted to do (and it depends, in part, on the complexity of the form/s) is to open your .pdf file in Adobe Acrobat and save the file in an alternative format (Word, HTML etc).

FWIW, I have often come unstuck doing that - too much formatting seems to get lost - and stick with PS.

Best wishes :)