Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

toebs

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 22, 2008
When ever i try to run something inside terminal and i run something like
"fink install tiemu"
it then asks for password

My password is nothing so i just hit enter
then nothing really happens, terminal just writes toebs-hansen-macbook-pro:~Toebs$

Its really annoyong, somethings i cant install that i need to use

hodgeheg

macrumors regular
Dec 7, 2008
When ever i try to run something inside terminal and i run something like
"fink install tiemu"
it then asks for password

My password is nothing so i just hit enter
then nothing really happens, terminal just writes toebs-hansen-macbook-pro:~Toebs$

Its really annoyong, somethings i cant install that i need to use

I'm not sure if I fully understand, and I'm not a terminal expert, but you could just do "sudo bash" and give it your password (or press enter if you don't have one), which will give you the terminal as Super User. Then you could do your command - check man to see if there's a verbose flag that might tell you what's happening.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
It could be the problem that you can't authenticate in terminal if your password contains no characters.

toebs

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 22, 2008
thanks for fast replys.

Is there anyway i can confirm if i have the sudo permission after entering my non-existent password?

Both my root user and my admin account dont have password, perhaps i should give both one?

tom.

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2007
San Francisco, CA
Your root user, by default, isn't enabled - and if it is, it should have a password(definitely)! Massive security risk without.

Are you sure the command you are running isn't executing successfully? What are you expecting to happen?

If it is a simple app the install might well work without needing anything else and it will return to you with nothing.

The key is - if there is no error, assume success ;-) (wait for me to get shot down in flames for that).

Good luck.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
As noted, it's a very BAD IDEA™ to have no passwords.

As for sudo, it does not function with a blank password. So if you want to use it, you need a password.

toebs

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 22, 2008
great thanks.
Ill put a monster long password and hope my brain remembers tomorrow ;)

Update: WoHoo it works. Thanks alot. Finally the great TI89 calculator has found its way to my MAC

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.