Newbie Problems with Entourage and Modem

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bigwazzu, Nov 12, 2004.

1. bigwazzu macrumors newbie

This is my first post as a Mac maven, so please be gentle! I've installed Office 2004 in my new G5 and am using Entourage for my email. It worked fine with the original modem, but ever since I installed an ISDN modem, it will ONLY work with that modem! Now if I log on with my dialup and my original modem and try to get my mail, Entourage acts like I'm not logged on and won't pick up my mail. I can't find anywhere in Entourage to tell the program that I am online. It's been pretty frustrating. I hope this is the right forum to post this problem. I'd really appreciate any help I can get. Thanks!

2. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Your ISP may not allow access through a different modem.

Make sure your pop mail settings are correct--correct mail server and sendmail server. And make sure your accounts are set to send and receive.

If you have everything right, then check your internet settings in the system prefs.

3. bigwazzu thread starter macrumors newbie

Still Problems

I have three PC's and a PowerBook G4 that all work fine with the same dial-up account. The G5 worked fine on dial-up until I installed the ISDN modem. The ISDN modem settings are for the exact same mail account. Yet when I try to tell Entourage to send or receive when I'm using the dial-up account, it acts like it's not online. I"ve checked all the settings I can find and can't find anything. I can't find anywhere in Entourage where it asks which modem to use, so I'm assuming it should be able to tell which is online. It's all very confusing!!!!!

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Entourage does not use a modem, Ethernet port, Airport or anything else of the sort. Entourage uses your TCP/IP stack, irrespective of how you make the connection. If your email settings should't change with your switch to ISDN, then your inability to get your email can only have one cause. The cause is that you have not changed your network configuration to use the ISDN connection. You need to open System Preference. Click the Network preferences pane. Since I am not familiar with your system, I cannot help you beyond this point. However, I will draw your attention to the Internet Connect application. You may have to use it, as well.

5. bigwazzu thread starter macrumors newbie

Let me try again!

I'm obviously doing a bad job of explaining this problem! I know it's a strage problem, so here goes. I can log on to the Internet fine with either the IDSN or the Dialup account. I can open web pages, download files, etc... with either account. BUT, when I try to do a send or receive with Entourage while I'm logged on with the Dialup, it acts like I'm not online and won't send or receive. It's the exact same email account, ISP, etc... on both accounts. Entourage works fine if I'm logged on with the ISDN account. I told you it was a strange one!!

6. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

I think that you are trying to skip over a very important point. Your ability to access certain mail servers maybe dictated by your ISP. Some ISPs limit access to their mail servers to users on the same domain. Other ISPs allow access to their POP servers from anywhere, but limit SMTP access to users on the same domain. Still others allow access from anywhere. Many ISPs with restricted access to their servers provide web-based access for the convenience of their customers. At first blush, I doubt that your dial-up access and your ISDN access are provided by the same ISP. If I'm correct, then this may explain why your dial-up access does not allow access to your mail servers. If I am mistaken, then we can explore other possibilities. This is not magic; there is a rational explanation and solution to your problem.

7. bigwazzu thread starter macrumors newbie

One More Time

As I said in my question, both Dialup and ISDN use the exact same account. Same ISP, same phone number, same password, EVERYTHING. I can get my mail with either via dialup or ISDN on my four other computers. It's just on my G5 that this happens. My PowerBook has the same installation of Entourage and it works fine with either modem.

8. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

It is probably something very subtle. This is my best guess, but it is only a guess. Although your ISDN and dial-up connections appear to use the same settings from your end, your ISP likely uses different servers to handle each. My guess is that the dial-up server is case-sensitive, but the ISDN server is not. Go step by step through the PowerBook, where things work fine. Record all network settings on the PowerBook. Even though things appear to be the same on the G5, retype them anyway. Pay particular attention to your email passwords, which you cannot see.

9. bigwazzu thread starter macrumors newbie

When I try to get my mail, nothing gets as far as my ISP. Entourage acts like the computer is offline. There is no modem activity, nothing. This is not a problem with the ISP.

10. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

First, let me say that I have corrected a minor goof in my previous post. Now let me address your latest post. I cannot state in more emphatic terms: Entourage and other Internet mail clients do not use hardware directly. Your email client uses whichever TCP/IP stack that is available to it. Whether or not your modem or Ethernet port or AirPort or whatever is accessed is a decision made by the OS based on user preference. You imply that you are trying to access your email while using an active dial-up connection. If this is the case, then a failed connection to your mail server may happen too quickly for you to see it.

You know that it is possible to access your email via both dial-up and ISDN using MacOS X. The solution to your problem must necessarily be in the differences between the set-ups of your PowerBook and your G5. As I said in my previous post, my best guess is you typed a word, most likely your password, in the wrong case.

11. bigwazzu thread starter macrumors newbie

I may not know anything about Macs, but I've been building, troubleshooting, and repairing PC's for fifteen years. This is not an ISP problem. If it were an easy problem, I wouldn't be looking for help in this forum. If the password or user name, etc... were entered incorectly in Entourage, I would be asked to try again as I verfied by changing each on my PowerBook. When I try to access my mail, there is no modem activity whatsover. The request is not reaching my mail server. I know what SHOULD be happening as you explained, but it's not.

12. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

This is not a test of your manhood. It is a computer problem. Computer problems can humble even the mightiest. You seem insistent that your problem is not an ISP problem, but you will proffer the theory that Entourage is somehow incompatible with your dial-up modem--which is not possible. You have a choice to make. One, you can go though your network settings step-by-step until you find the source of your problem and fix it. Two, you can insist that you are a computer expert and continue to run down blind alleys while avoiding more probable pathways. It is up to you.

13. bigwazzu thread starter macrumors newbie

You know MisterrMe, I really don't think I'm the one worried about his manhood here. I haven't asked you personally to respond to my post, and in re-reading my earlier post I don't see anywhere where I claimed to be a computer expert, unless "I know nothing about Macs" means something I don't understand. I'm just a guy here with a computer problem, trying to get help from this forum. And I am smart enough to never tell someone that something is impossible. You aren't by any chance the person who developed Entourage are you? I'm just the guy that has the computer here in front of him, who has checked all of the network settings and everything else you have mentioned. Like I've said about three times now, I know this is an unusual problem. I doubt seriously if there are may things that are impossible when it comes to computer problems. Please don't respond to my post; hopefully I will hear from others that may have new suggestions. And thank you for trying to help.