Newbie Qs

Discussion in 'macOS' started by caligula357, Jan 22, 2007.

1. caligula357 macrumors member

caligula357

okay,

just got my macbook today, and am typing on it right now (why doesn't the 'M' key look right!)

i have a question about finder and dock. when i open a program, it is never full screen (i've clicked maximise), and the dock at the bottom is always on top (like windows menu bar).
    is there a way to have the program windows full screen, and the dock in the background (ie, behind said window)?

thanks
    :D

2. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Well, you can hide the Dock by pressing Command+Alt+D – to make it reappear either repeat the keystroke or move your mouse down to the bottom of the screen.

As for maximising stuff... OS X isn't really designed with that in mind. It's designed to be a multi-tasking OS, with apps and stuff easily accessible – for example, if you've got an app full screen then you can't drag and drop things onto other windows as easily, if that makes sense.

3. caligula357 thread starter macrumors member

caligula357

i figured it out by setting the dock to hide in system preferences, and to manually adjust the windows that wouldn't maximise properly.

mac os x is a lot more solid than xp so far...

4. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Its funny how many switchers ask the question about maximising. :D

It is a little weird to get used to from what I remember but once you are used to not maximising everything you will wonder why you did in the first place.

If you find you have a few windows open and cant be bothered clicking each of them to find what you want just press fn+F9 and watch what happens. F10 and F11 are good too. I have them mapped to my mighty mouse for even quicker window management. ;)

5. zweigand macrumors 6502a

zweigand

It will take you a little bit, but soon you'll feel more comfortable with windows that aren't full-screen. It also helps if you get into using exposé. Try assigning the "all windows" function to the lower right hand corner of your screen (or corner of your choice) it's second nature to go from one app to another by flicking your wrist and choosing the app you want to bring to the front. It is very hard for me to work on a windows PC now because of that one feature.

6. holamiamigos macrumors 6502a