Newbie Question about Safari

Discussion in 'macOS' started by tolive, Jan 29, 2007.

1. tolive macrumors member

A senior Windows user, just got my first Mac - MBP C2D Pro 2 days ago, my question are:

How can I set the Safari so that when I open a new tab it opens my default
    home page instead of opening a blank page? I guess there must be
    a setting somewhere, just I didn't find it.

Also, is there any way I can force all new windows to be opened in new tabs
    instead of another browser windows?

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Welcome to the dark side! :) And the family!

Force new windows into tabs --> Download SafariStand (Stand menu -> SafariStand Setting -> General -> Open _blank link in new tab) or SAFT.

New tabs with default page --> I have no idea, sorry.

3. tolive thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, yeah, I looked at the SafariStand, SAFT features, they do have the option to open new window in new tab, but is there any way the Safari can be configured to open default page in new tabs?

4. redmeister macrumors 6502

i had the exact same problems you had.. and i solved the new window in tab with safari stand as it seems you have done..

but i am still searching for an answer as to how to bring up the default page in a new tab as well... right now it just comes up as an empty page haha kind of annoying. im still searching, hopefully one of us will figure it out or someone who knows will stumble into this thread haha

5. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

I'm at work at the moment so I can't check (Windows only here, but I'll check once I get home) but I thought there was an option in Safari's preferences to set a home page whenever a new window is opened - this should carry over to when a new tab is opened. Maybe give that a try. :)

6. Allstermac macrumors member

Allstermac

When you hold down the (cant find the symbol) Apple key to the left of the space bar, then click on Home page or any other bookmark, it will open whatever you click on in a new tab (tabbed browsing enabled in preferences)

7. ero87 macrumors 65816

ero87

i don't have a solution to your question, but a very helpful tip that's overlooked by many newbies. Within Safari, go to view -> customize address bar. Once you've clicked this, your address bar becomes modifiable. You can drag things down & off (removing silly buttons such as "Add to Bookmarks"), and you can add a home button.

This makes new tabs just 1 click away from the home page!

8. WildPalms macrumors 6502a

WildPalms

Add the Home button to your toolbar as ero87 said. Then hold down Command (Apple) and Shift and click on your Home button. This will open a new tab with the default page.

9. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

You are God.

That was the only thing I didn't like about Safari (No home button)

I love you!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. WildPalms macrumors 6502a

WildPalms

Um Cassie? You know you can customize a lot of the application toolbars... right click (or Control Click) on the toolbar then select Customize.

11. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

I know... but for some reason that never worked with Safari... until now...??? What the heck, now it's working...

12. WildPalms macrumors 6502a

WildPalms

hehe, everyday is xmas with a Mac ;)

Oooh, Google has changed the Mac page - http://www.google.com/mac

13. Tymmz macrumors 65816

Tymmz

If you have your specific page bookmarked you can just press Apple+the number the bookmark has in your bookmark-list, which will let you browse directly to the page. I find this feature very useful.

14. ero87 macrumors 65816

ero87

shift isn't even necessary for me. just command click it!

15. tolive thread starter macrumors member

I guess this is by far the best solution - hold down the command key and click the home button (no shift needed), but I don't understand, this should be a very simple operation, both IE7 and Firefox have the option.