Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tolive

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2007
A senior Windows user, just got my first Mac - MBP C2D Pro 2 days ago, my question are:

How can I set the Safari so that when I open a new tab it opens my default
home page instead of opening a blank page? I guess there must be
a setting somewhere, just I didn't find it.

Also, is there any way I can force all new windows to be opened in new tabs
instead of another browser windows?

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Welcome to the dark side! :) And the family!

Force new windows into tabs --> Download SafariStand (Stand menu -> SafariStand Setting -> General -> Open _blank link in new tab) or SAFT.

New tabs with default page --> I have no idea, sorry.

tolive

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2007
Thanks, yeah, I looked at the SafariStand, SAFT features, they do have the option to open new window in new tab, but is there any way the Safari can be configured to open default page in new tabs?

Welcome to the dark side! :) And the family!

Force new windows into tabs --> Download SafariStand (Stand menu -> SafariStand Setting -> General -> Open _blank link in new tab) or SAFT.

New tabs with default page --> I have no idea, sorry.

redmeister

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2007
i had the exact same problems you had.. and i solved the new window in tab with safari stand as it seems you have done..

but i am still searching for an answer as to how to bring up the default page in a new tab as well... right now it just comes up as an empty page haha kind of annoying. im still searching, hopefully one of us will figure it out or someone who knows will stumble into this thread haha

kretzy

macrumors 604
Sep 11, 2004
Canberra, Australia
I'm at work at the moment so I can't check (Windows only here, but I'll check once I get home) but I thought there was an option in Safari's preferences to set a home page whenever a new window is opened - this should carry over to when a new tab is opened. Maybe give that a try. :)

Allstermac

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2007
When you hold down the (cant find the symbol) Apple key to the left of the space bar, then click on Home page or any other bookmark, it will open whatever you click on in a new tab (tabbed browsing enabled in preferences)

ero87

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2006
New York City
i don't have a solution to your question, but a very helpful tip that's overlooked by many newbies. Within Safari, go to view -> customize address bar. Once you've clicked this, your address bar becomes modifiable. You can drag things down & off (removing silly buttons such as "Add to Bookmarks"), and you can add a home button.

This makes new tabs just 1 click away from the home page!

WildPalms

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2006
Honolulu, HI
A senior Windows user, just got my first Mac - MBP C2D Pro 2 days ago, my question are:

How can I set the Safari so that when I open a new tab it opens my default
home page instead of opening a blank page? I guess there must be
a setting somewhere, just I didn't find it.

Also, is there any way I can force all new windows to be opened in new tabs
instead of another browser windows?

Add the Home button to your toolbar as ero87 said. Then hold down Command (Apple) and Shift and click on your Home button. This will open a new tab with the default page.

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
you can add a home button.

This makes new tabs just 1 click away from the home page!

You are God.

That was the only thing I didn't like about Safari (No home button)

I love you!

kiss3.gif

hug.gif

Zmmyt

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2005
If you have your specific page bookmarked you can just press Apple+the number the bookmark has in your bookmark-list, which will let you browse directly to the page. I find this feature very useful.

tolive

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2007
I guess this is by far the best solution - hold down the command key and click the home button (no shift needed), but I don't understand, this should be a very simple operation, both IE7 and Firefox have the option.

Add the Home button to your toolbar as ero87 said. Then hold down Command (Apple) and Shift and click on your Home button. This will open a new tab with the default page.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.