newbie question about upgrades on old macs

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by bbcountach, Jun 15, 2005.

1. bbcountach macrumors newbie

Hello,
    I've been looking at Macs for a while now, but my main problem is that i cant afford one. Can someone reccomend an old mac that is good just to take apart and upgrade or tinker with? I'd really prefer a laptop, but right now i think anything is better than my current windows piece of junk. let me know if i left anything out, and thanks for taking the time for me!

edit: perhaps i should jsut wait for the Mac OS for intel or save up for an ibook?
    -B

2. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

Mac OS for Intel?? If you're thinking that you will be able to run OS X on anyold junk PC, it's not going to happen. Apple has said they will not do this.

Maybe an old G4 PowerMac or a 15" G4 iMac. Depends on what you want to do.

3. bbcountach thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm looking at some music editing, and some small video editing. mostly just music playing and homework. I saw a few powermac g4's do things like processors and video cards swap out on those easily? thanks
    -B

4. macbaseball macrumors 6502a

macbaseball

You're not going to get a good value when you upgrade the processors. What's your price range, as that would help arrow it down a lot. I would suggest getting a dual 1.25 G4 Power Mac, which is probably out of your price range.

5. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Give a price range, but remember you'll want something that can play DVDs.

A refurb eMac from Apple is $650 ... this should allow you to remain rather current.

But a refurb iBook G4 for $699 will have a CD-RW drive only which caused problems for the DVD software -- like OS upgrades.

7. bbcountach thread starter macrumors newbie

My price range would probably be around $500-600. Judging by the responses, i think i'm going to be spending a lot more time saving up. I think because of school, i will probably be saving up for a used ibook or something of that type. I greatly appreciate all of everyone's help! Thanks a million!
    -B