Newbie Question: can I connect a PC to a Mac with an Ethernet cable

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Argelius, Jun 18, 2005.

1. Argelius macrumors 6502

Argelius

Is it possible to connect a PC (Win XP) to a Powerbook 15" (with Tiger) using an ethernet crossover cable for the purpose of transferring files from the PC to the new PowerBook?

I've searched all over the place, but haven't been able to find the information explained in a simple manner...

Thanks!

2. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

you have explained how you are trying to transfer the files.

3. risc macrumors 68030

risc

There is no reason for this not to work,one of the machines just needs to be the gateway and the other machine should be pointed at it. Then you can jus use samba on OS X or smb on Windows to transfer the file.

4. floyde macrumors 6502a

floyde

The easy way:
    -Make sure files are shared on the windows pc.
    -Connect computers.
    -In Finder: Use Go->Connect to server...
    -Type the name of the windows computer.
    -Drag and drop files

I'm guessing this didn't work out for you since you're here asking. I think the ultraparanoid XP Service pack 2 can cause problems with this approach so here is
    The hard way:
    -Connect computers.
    -Turn on "windows sharing" on system preferences->sharing
    -Turn off windows firewall (just in case)
    -Set up network adresses manually on both computers. Use 192.168.1.1 for one and 192.168.1.2 for the other (doesn't matter which one).
    -Search for the powerbook from the windows computer (use the name that appears on system preferences->sharing)
    -Again, from the windows computer, drag and drop the files to a shared folder on the powerbook

5. DXoverDY macrumors 6502a

you don't even need a crossover cable. the powerbook has built in auto MDIX switching... meaning it does what a crossover cable would do within hardware, without the need for the cable.

then just follow the directions in other replies.

6. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

This is true of most all computer NICs nowadays. I agree, it is handy.

7. Ti_Poussin macrumors regular

Ti_Poussin

Maybe it's a workgroup setting that mess up stuff, you know windows still use that.

-open Directory Access in /Applications/Utilities
    -unlock it to make some change
    -click on SMB/CIFS
    -Configure
    -Enter the workgroup there

I still wounder why there's no link to this in the prefs pane in sharing, it's a must setup option for networking with windows.

8. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

Ok, all you need to do is hook the Mac and the PC together using any type of CAT 5 cable.

Then go into the Mac's System Preferences -> Sharing, check off Window sharing, at which point it should give you the address that you can plug into the IE on the Windows computer to go into the Mac. The IP address it should be getting is something like 169.xxx.xxx.xxx. When connecting, give it some time, it can take a few moments to work.

If you need to get into the PC, you also need the IP address of the PC this time. So get your nic card IP Address, which can be done by Right clicking Network Nieghberhood, Properties, then double click on the Nic connection and it should tell you the IP. Another way to get the IP on all Windows computer is to click Start, Run, type in "cmd" without quotes and hit enter. Then "ipconfig /all" without quotes in the dos prompt, and it should give you all you need to know about the network cards. Once you have the IP, click on the Finder face in the dock on the Mac, Click go in the menu at the top, Then "Connect to Server..." (which is also cmd + K as a short cut). At which point, put in your Windows IP address and Connect.

Note, don't have either the PC or the Mac hooked into any other connection, since it will default to using that other connection, instead of the one between them. So if your Mac or PC has wireless, turn it off.

That was the quickest way I could explain it, and it might be a little off in spots, but that is the basic way of doing it either way.