Newbie question: recommendation for photo editing software

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Argelius, Jun 25, 2005.

1. Argelius macrumors 6502

Argelius

I'm a mac newbie and am looking for recommendations for digital photo editing software. In my previous life as a Windows guy, I was moderately experienced in photo editing (basic tasks like cropping, enhancing, correcting exposure, etc, as well as more advanced stuff like colorizing, removal of unwanted objects, etc.).

I am looking for something more sophisticated than iPhoto, but nothing as complex (or expensive!) as Photoshop. I am currently evaluating Adobe Photoshop Elements 3 (which I used on my PC).

Just curious if there are any other photo editing programs I should try out. Hopefully there are some that are designed specifically for Macs.

(On an unrelated note, I guess I'm having minor buyers remorse as I find the Mac versions of programs I used to rely on -- like Quicken and Entourage/Outlook are pretty crappy on Mac. I know this feeling will pass once I get all accustomed to my new life with Apple...)

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

GraphicConverter ships with most Macs. If you don't have it, download it and slap yourself for not getting it earlier. If you want to spend extra money, then Adobe's Photohop Elements will set you back $100.

3. JulianHt macrumors newbie

4. glenthompson macrumors demi-god

glenthompson

Even if you don't need the power of some of the better tools, will you need them for photo management in the future? Something like Aperture or Lightroom might be the best fit in capabilities. If all you need is photo editing the Photoshop Elements offers a lot of power for a reasonable price.

5. ohbrilliance macrumors 6502a

ohbrilliance

6. firedept macrumors demi-god

firedept

7. snberk103 macrumors 603

Not any more....

8. 2012Tony2012 macrumors 6502a

2012Tony2012

OP=Last Activity: Oct 9, 2012 03:46 AM

So I doubt he/she is getting these messages :D

9. firedept macrumors demi-god

firedept

Okay you win. Been there done it myself. Little more aware now of checking dates before responding. But it t was the PS Elements 3 that really gave it away.

10. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

11. snberk103 macrumors 603

Actually, I agree with you. :)

So.... to anyone reading this now.... this is very old advice. Lots more choices nows.