Newbie question:Will the installation of additional ram by myself void the warranty?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by GLADmaster, Aug 18, 2005.

1. GLADmaster macrumors newbie

Hi all,
    I am new here. I am going to buy a IBook or maybe a Pbook soon. I would buy some additional ram for it, but not from Apple as many threads here say.
    But I have such concerns: Can I intall the ram by myself or have to have it installed by someone authorized? Will the installation of the new ram affect the warranty of the computer? I know, in most cases, you are not allowed to open the case to install new hardwares, otherwise the warranty is void. But there are many thread encouraging people buy additional rams from somewhere else, say from Crucial. Thanks for your help in advance.

2. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

RAM is a user installable part. Unless you break something, you will be fine. No voided warranty. :)

3. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

No it will not void any warranty. Its very easy to do actually, just a simple panel on the bottom of the computer. (or under the keyboard, not sure if they still do that.)

4. madmax_2069 macrumors 6502a

madmax_2069

yea like they said adding more ram is a user installable part and should not void the warenty. Now replacing the cpu might but thats not what u asked

5. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Ya, I would not advise going and doing that.