Newbie question

Discussion in 'iPod' started by leila, Nov 22, 2005.

1. leila macrumors newbie

OK, I admit it. I am totally behind the times. My husband bought a Mini about 7 or 8 months ago. I finally decided I wanted an Ipod for my car. Being cheap, I went on ebay and won an auction for 1G Ipod. Unfortunately, I don't have a MAC, I have a Dell PC. 1st question: Do the 1G's only work with MACs? 2nd q: Is there some sort of converter I can use in my Firewire port so I can use my USB on my PC? 3rd q: will my husband's ITunes work with my 1G Ipod? Thanks in advance for answering my dumb*ss questions.:)

2. SummerBreeze macrumors 6502a

SummerBreeze

I believe that the 1g iPod only works with Mac OS X. Does your husband have a Mac Mini or an iPod mini? If he has the Mac Mini, it should work on there just fine.

3. leila thread starter macrumors newbie

He has the Ipod Mini

I guess I'll either have to look for a used MAC or put the Ipod back on Ebay. It seems to work perfectly. I am bummed! :cool:

4. DarkNetworks macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks

i don't get what you're trying to say here...1st gen and a mini you have?
    Well i think there's something, some kind of plug or switcher where u can switch Firewire to USB its one side for the Firewire to plug in and one side is a USB connection...well 1G only works with Macs and if he/she has an iPod Mini, i think it will work with PCs...

5. leila thread starter macrumors newbie

right

My husband has an Ipod mini, so we have the ITunes software. I have a 1Gen ipod that has the firewire port on the top, but no docking thingy. If I can find some sort of firewire-to-usb converter I can hook up to my PC, but I guess my 1stGen Ipod only works with MACs, right?

6. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

actually, 1G iPods were formatted for macs. I *think* that you should be able to re-format the iPod to a PC format. That was the only difference in the 2Gs. Can anyone confirm that?

As for firewire, you could always install a card.

Otherwise, it's probably time for eBay and a nano.

7. steve_hill4 macrumors 68000

steve_hill4

I have heard of people successfully working a 1G through Windows, but I wouldn't know if you would be able to use iTunes or not. My guess is you will have to use Music Match software as with the 2G Windows models.

Try installing iPod updater on your computer, (latest version from apple.com/ipod/download), and try and restore it. It will automatically format for the system you are using. If this doesn't work, perhaps a quick google search for alternate ways before ebaying the item.