Newbie questions regarding OS X 10.8 installation

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by asicshu, Nov 11, 2012.

1. macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

Bare with me since I'm switching over from Windows to Mac..

I recently bought a Macbook Pro 13" (mid 2012) a week ago with basic specs and I'm planning switch my 500GB HD to 256GB SSD Crucial M4. I was wondering when installing the OS X 10.8, do I have to install any drivers for it? or is it going to automatically install it for me. I'll be installing it through a bootable USB so I guess it shouldn't be that bad after watching YouTube videos of how to install an OS on a Mac.

Thank you!

2. macrumors 6502a

Everything you need should be right on the OS. If you want to save hassle though just download Carbon Copy Cloner when you get your macbook, plug the SSD in through an external enclosure and then copy the internal drive straight over. It'll get you an exact copy that's fully bootable. Since the macbook is brand new it won't have any extra stuff you don't want so might as well save yourself extra trouble of clean installing it.

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

Well so far I already installed some apps on the Mac and I also installed bootcamp Window 7 64bit with some programs installed. So with that being said, Carbon Copy Cloner would allow me to copy all the files from my Mac HD to my SSD so that after I replace my Mac HD to the SSD, I would be able to run everything like normal like before right? Except the reading/writing speed would be very fast. Correct?:eek:

Thanks for helping me out AceHigh87, I really appreciate it!:)

4. macrumors 6502a

From what I remember bootcamp won't transfer, you'll need to re-install the Windows OS. Basically CCC doesn't handle partitions. Aside from that though, yup, it will copy everything over directly.