Newbie (Switcher) Questions...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Argelius, Jun 17, 2005.

1. Argelius macrumors 6502

Argelius

Just got my PowerBook 15" yesterday. I've done my best to search the forums for answers, but a few questions remain:

[1] In Safari, I've noticed that occassionally I'll open a new bookmark or click on a URL and the page will load in a new window, even though I've got the "open links from application" set to open in "same window" and I've enabled tabbed browsing. I'm used to Firefox which never allowed multiple windows to open.

[2] Since I am used to Firefox, I am curious if there are any disadvantages (i.e. loss of functionality, etc) of using it over Safari on the Mac. I'll probably just download it and give it a try in any event, but it might take me a while to figure out what I might be missing.

[3] I'm dying to get a Bluetooth trackball. From what I've been able to determine, there aren't any except for one by DVForge which is to become available in July (http://www.dvforge.com/theball.shtml).

[4] Can anyone point me to some good URLs I should bookmark for
    Shareware/Freeware. (I know Download.com has Mac stuff...just wondering what the best Mac sites are)

[5] Any other useful URLs every Mac user should bookmark?

That's about it for now....just LOVIN' my Mac! :rolleyes:

2. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

There are no particular disadvantages of using Firefox that I know of.

As for 4 and 5... try this. I just did this, I hope it helps.

3. freiheit macrumors 6502a

Agreed WRT Firefox instead of Safari. I only opened Safari to change the default web browser to Firefox (has to be done through Safari's preferences). Safari is more "Mac-like" than Firefox, certainly. That is a big point for some users. But there's a Mac-like version of Firefox (Camino -- not EXACTLY Firefox but very, very similar) which alleviates some of that contention.

A little added overhead is probably all. Safari is pretty much already running (WebKit) if you have Tiger -- it powers Dashboard. Firefox just adds on top of that, but it's the same story as running Firefox on Windows where Explorer is always running powering the folders.

4. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

5. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

Movies! :D

6. Argelius thread starter macrumors 6502

Argelius

Hey everyone --
    Thanks a bunch. This has be soooo helpful.
    Just lovin' my Mac!
    Can't wait to send my PC notebook to its firey grave on eBay.

7. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

If the website designer specifies that links should open in a new window, Safari will honour that. However, you can override this behaviour by middle-clicking on the link (look in the status bar to determine whether a new window will open or not).