Newbie to MAC's...how to Install X Darwin

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Jim.E., Oct 8, 2005.

1. Jim.E. macrumors newbie

ok so i jus bought an iBook yesterday and all i can say is i already love it since its so small and i was amazed that the battery actually held up for 5.5 hours. The only problem i have with is that i cant acces my .xls and .ppt files. I got a Copy of OpenOffice v1.1.2 and it is installed...but everytime i try to run it it asks for "X Darwin or X Server", so i looked into X Darwin and downloaded the latest one for Mac OSX 10.4.2., but i jus found a whole bunch of binaries and being new to macs i jus looked at it like :eek: and closed the damn thing...if someone can please give me a step by step "in english for noobs to MAC" (as i am pretty dumb and couldnt understand there step-by-step install). I was trying to find a .dmg file since i finally figured out how to use those to install apps on my iBook. I have the 30-day trial for Office:Mac and i might purchase it, but i want to actually try an alternative before i purchase an upgrade...and if OpenOffice can open all the MS Office files (like they say they can), then i can save money and not have to worry bout it. Also i see something called NeoOffice, is it the same thing as OpenOffice?

Ty.
    Jim

2. risc macrumors 68030

risc

OpenOffice.org needs X11 to run you'll find X11 on your restore CDs. Check your install CDs, I don't have that model of machine so I can't give you a disc number to look at but try them and see if you can find it.

3. Kobushi macrumors 6502a

Kobushi

4. Jim.E. thread starter macrumors newbie

says that i can install it direct from the Tiger DVD...but i dont see X11 on the tiger DVD...meh ill jus download x11 and try that out and see what happens

thanks you two

5. Bear macrumors G3

It's part of the optional software install on the Tiger DVD. You want to use the one from the Tiger disk.

6. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Actually if you just go to the Applications folder you'll find a folder called "Installers". That folder has what you are looking for in it. You want to install XCode, and that will include everything you need. Then on the Root directory a folder called "Developer" will be at your disposal. And Voila, enjoy.

7. risc macrumors 68030

risc

X11 isn't a part of XCode.