Newbie to Programing...need a good link to learn something!

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by alxxx007, Jun 13, 2008.

1. alxxx007 macrumors newbie

Jan 30, 2008
    So I have absolutely no experience in any kind of programing whatsoever...Does anybody have any suggestions for working with xcode, any tutorial links/book suggestions/web sites/etc, and any suggestions of what type of language to learn first. I just want to start learning some basics. I've always been interested in programing and I'll probably be taking some classes this next semester, but I want to have a bit of background knowledge before i start a class.

Thanks for any advice that you can give to a poor sole such as myself. Anything will help! :rolleyes:

MBP 15'', ipod shuffle, ipod classic
  2. vandozza macrumors 6502a

Jun 14, 2006
    I think that this book "Cocoa Programming for Mac OS X" is considered the "bible" of OS X programming.

See here -

The newest version is has just been released. I have the older edition, and it is very good.
  3. HawaiiMacAddict macrumors 6502a

Dec 28, 2006
    On one of my Macs of course
    Aloha aixxx007,

I will second the Cocoa Programming for Mac OS X book. I learned some Assembly, VB, and C++ while at college, but since my switch to the Mac in 2006, have really wanted to learn to code using Objective-C and Xcode. I purchased the latest version of that book (3rd edition), and would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone with the desired to code for the Mac. I would advise using Apple's documentation to learn about Objective-C first, or maybe purchasing a book on Objective-C, as that will speed your progress through the Cocoa Programming book. Either way, it's a small price to pay for some outstanding reference material.

4. paintballer macrumors regular

Nov 27, 2006
    That is a great book. But you really have to know C first...
  5. liptonlover macrumors 6502a

Mar 13, 2008
    click on guides, one of the tabs on this website. There's lots of good links there.
  6. alxxx007 thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 30, 2008
    Thank you!

Thanks a lot everybody for the great info!