Newbie to Programing...need a good link to learn something!

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by alxxx007, Jun 13, 2008.

1. macrumors newbie

So I have absolutely no experience in any kind of programing whatsoever...Does anybody have any suggestions for working with xcode, any tutorial links/book suggestions/web sites/etc, and any suggestions of what type of language to learn first. I just want to start learning some basics. I've always been interested in programing and I'll probably be taking some classes this next semester, but I want to have a bit of background knowledge before i start a class.

Thanks for any advice that you can give to a poor sole such as myself. Anything will help! :rolleyes:

MBP 15'', ipod shuffle, ipod classic

2. macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

3. macrumors 68030

C or Java

4. macrumors 6502a

vandozza

I think that this book "Cocoa Programming for Mac OS X" is considered the "bible" of OS X programming.

See here - http://www.bignerdranch.com/products.shtml

The newest version is has just been released. I have the older edition, and it is very good.

5. macrumors 6502a

Aloha aixxx007,

I will second the Cocoa Programming for Mac OS X book. I learned some Assembly, VB, and C++ while at college, but since my switch to the Mac in 2006, have really wanted to learn to code using Objective-C and Xcode. I purchased the latest version of that book (3rd edition), and would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone with the desired to code for the Mac. I would advise using Apple's documentation to learn about Objective-C first, or maybe purchasing a book on Objective-C, as that will speed your progress through the Cocoa Programming book. Either way, it's a small price to pay for some outstanding reference material.

HawaiiMacAddict

6. macrumors regular

That is a great book. But you really have to know C first...

7. macrumors 6502a

8. macrumors 6502a

click on guides, one of the tabs on this website. There's lots of good links there.

9. thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you!

Thanks a lot everybody for the great info!