Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

savar

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2003
District of Columbia
wow, thanks for the reply.
Realistically, how long does it take to learn a language enough to get a job in programming or maintaining servers ?
i am ready to do some hardcore learning and practice. I have already done some html for my websites etc.... Fred

Years.*

AppleScript and VB are crap. Learn C or Java to get started.

*In theory, to be a good developer, it takes years. Most developers are not good, however, and I sometimes wonder if they've spent anytime learning the fundamentals at all.

ironjaw

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2006
Cold Copenhagen
Good luck. It's good to see people wanting to switch into the industry, when so many have had enough and are switching out.

Jhande - great to see another dane in the forum. :)

Fred I want to wish you good luck as well.

It's quiet true that alot of people are actually swicthing out from the IT industry. But one thing is true as pointed out by jhande and that is a proper strong foundation is a must. A proper Computer Science or Computer/Software Engineering education will give you the head start as well as make you understand the true priniciples of programming. Mathematics is a must, think algorithms, etc.

I just hate what the industry has become - advertising to everyone that they can become rich in the IT sector or become quality programmers, etc with low level education. Its just false and lost promises. too many people saturating the industry without knowing the basics.

Good Luck and what you do - do it becuase you love it and want to do it, no matter the odds;)

fab5freddy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 21, 2007
Heaven or Hell
hejsaa danskere! tak for svarene. det er godt at høre fra folk der kender IT branchen.......Er der nogen af jer, som jeg kunne ringe til og spørge lidt mere specifikt om hvad jeg skal gøre ang. IT uddannelse ??

mvh, Nils ( fred ) min email: wosiho (a) gmail.com

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
wow, thanks for the reply.
Realistically, how long does it take to learn a language enough to get a job in programming or maintaining servers ?
i am ready to do some hardcore learning and practice. I have already done some html for my websites etc.... Fred

Two very different jobs. Maintaining servers is an "IT" job. take a six week class and you're in. Most employers will expect a programmer to have a four year degree in some technical subject like Comp Sci, math or even physics

Your best bet is a collage education. Knowing programming is not really enough to land a programming job. You need to know about some subject area too. For example let's say you are writing code for on-line banking. It would help to understand a little about banking. Or let's say you are writing code to control a radar guided missile. It would help to know a bit about that too.

Writing code is not unlike writing in plain English. To be good you need to know how to spell and compose paragraphs but more importantly you need to know the subject.

How to get into it? I'd say pick a subject first. What do you know? Is it construction with cast in place concrete or do you teach Ballet to children. The answer does not matter just so long as you leverage that.

You also need to know how computers work in some detail, basic concepts and so on. Get an introductary computer science text and read it. A comunity collage is the best place to learn

jhande

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2006
Denmark
hejsaa danskere! tak for svarene. det er godt at høre fra folk der kender IT branchen.......Er der nogen af jer, som jeg kunne ringe til og spørge lidt mere specifikt om hvad jeg skal gøre ang. IT uddannelse ??

mvh, Nils ( fred ) min email: wosiho (a) gmail.com

I've sent you an email. We can take it off MR for the more specific stuff.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.