Newbie upgrade to panther

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by gundam, Oct 28, 2003.

1. gundam macrumors member

Oct 6, 2003
    I have just received my 15" Powerbook and need to go through the Up to Date procedure to receive Panther. Should I even bother configuring my Internet settings, installing software under Jaguar, i.e. will I have to redo everything after I upgrade?
  2. FightTheFuture macrumors 6502a

Oct 19, 2003
    that town east of ann arbor
    get jaggy with jag!

nah, you'll be fine. i did an upgrade instead of a full install and all the prefs ported just fine. somewhere in the readme's it mentions having to rebuild your mailbox though. my unprofessional and usually bad advice would be to play around with jag as often as you can, it'll make you appreciate 10.3 much more!
  3. yellow Moderator emeritus

Oct 21, 2003
    Portland, OR
    There are some issues with Upgrade vs. Archive and Install. Namely, there are users and groups that don't get created (for whatever reason) if you do an Upgrade. Who knows what else?
    I suggest doing an Archive and Install over an Upgrade.
  4. j33pd0g macrumors 6502

Mar 20, 2003
    Central NY
    I did an upgrade on Friday. I did a clean install on Monday. Do you see where I'm going with this?
  5. switchingGeek macrumors member

Oct 11, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    /AOL ME TOO!!! /AOL

New Pbook 12", Getting 97 on XBench now. Upgrade screwed up Stuffit for some reason, the battery charging time went loopy. Also clean install was much faster. Make sure you choose customize install option, and remove all the languages/printer drivers you don't need. Don't forget to install X11 while you're at it :)...

Have fun!!
  6. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

Mar 25, 2002
    London, England
    If you can wait, I'd hold off installing all your apps and do a nice fresh install of Panther when it arrives, it will always be better than an upgrade. I personally never upgrade any OS, always format and install.