Newbies?!...

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by MacEffects, Apr 28, 2006.

1. MacEffects macrumors 6502

I was browsing Forums and I noticed near 35-45% Newbies with 0 or 1 Posts, and far more with only a few (a few is normal but why so many accounts with Zero Posts)? Also I don't remember how long ago it was, but someone was selling there 'great MacRumors User Name for sale' is that within the terms of MacRumors, I doesn't matter to me either way, but just wondering since we have many many Members with 0 Posts. :rolleyes:

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

The idea of purging the newbies has come up before but deemed too hard.

As for selling user names, I have no idea how MacRumors feels about this. Personally, I don't really see the point unless a new member wants a 'tar straight away or something.

3. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

It is odd and troublesome to see so many users with no, or super little posts- and half of them have not been back to MR in a few years. :rolleyes:

As Mad Jew said, the thought of a Newbie Inquisition has come up before. :)

4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Some register but never post, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

5. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

It isn't too hard at all, easy click of the mouse in the admincp and then bam they all gone.

However part of the reason there hasn't been a purging is because people who signed up can then go into the guides and do other things that unregistered users can't, i guess.

6. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

Ummm the idea was suggested before there were even guides, I think the most important factor is that there are plenty of people who register just for viewing (saves all your viewing prefs, allows you to ignore some people and makes the forums more readable) so we're going to take all of those people and wipe them clean, thats whats not fair I think.

7. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

No, I suppose that is not necessarily always the case. :eek:

Since when are purges fair? There is never any fun to be had
    in a "fair" purge. ;) :)

8. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I've got a slightly soiled 'Lacero' available. Cheap at half the price.

9. After G macrumors 68000

After G

10. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Technically: Changing the user and keeping the username would definitely be a bad idea if there were any previous posts, because it would be completely misleading to other members. Changing users with a username that had no posts might be less confusing to other members, but the registration date would still be wrong.

Administratively: Having a "no reuse of usernames" policy is the simplest choice, because otherwise it might be a Pandora's Box of problems, some foreseeable and some not, and there is little benefit to the site or to other members to allow such sales.

11. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I agree that selling user names would be a bad idea.

That's why I rent mine out during the summer months. Easy income, and it's waiting for me in the fall.

12. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Fair enough. I wasn't trying to say it'd be difficult to actually remove a user, but rather it would be difficult to tell which members should go and which should stay. It'd be easier to just keep 'em all IMO.

jsw, can I take you next summer? My username's had way too much mileage in recent months, not to mention it's completely misleading. :p

13. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I was actually thinking we should ask to combine them into mad jsw and then share the name - we'd be on virtually 24/7, almost as much as Lacero was. ;)

14. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I like your thinking. Just need a way 'round Doctor Q's pesky rules now. :p

15. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

I totally agree, and anyway, this is perfectly normal of any forum. MR is fantasically lively, and those 1-posters are sometimes the starters of nice fat threads containing all the answers to questions more hardened Mac users wouldn't think to ask.

16. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Is this some sort of plot to corner the posting market?! :eek: ;) :)

17. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Yes i can see it now....Lets sell those names...we'll make a bundle of TheMark?:confused:

Bless

18. Unorthodox macrumors 65816

Unorthodox

That wouldn't make sense. Unless I changed my name last name to Oresky. :p
    Plus my MR name might be changed sometime. Arn is a busy guy after all.

I think it would be safe to delete accounts that have 0 post and haven't logged on in one year. But on the other hand it might not be worth it.
    Can you believe someone has the MR name Steve Jobs and only has 1 post! But he also hasn't logged on in 4 years. :cool:

19. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

You know Lacreo that Doctor Q and mud bug can change it too?

I say don't bother with the members that don't really post, too much work, imo.

20. Unorthodox macrumors 65816

Unorthodox

I asked Arn 12 days ago. Should have asked another god? Arn's probable the busiest.
    Maybe I should PM Q or MudBug......
    Well Im trying to get it changed to "Unorthodox". Steady as she goes I guess. :cool:

21. DZ/015 macrumors 6502a

DZ/015

It took me 21 months after registering to have my first post. I was an active reader, just never posted. Now that I work nights and have no one cracking the whip over me, I am finding more time with which to be more active around here.

22. Felldownthewell macrumors 65816

Felldownthewell

I was newbie for a while...until I made member or whatever I am now... I don't know, I read the threads alot but don't post a bunch, for whatever reason. My point is that maybe some newbies are...nervous about posting or something...they just need time!

Although the the newbies who come on and ask questions like:

"Does teh MBP come in 2.0ghz?!?!?11?//!one//slash!? All teh reviewz ar sayin 1.83ghz!!11!!1one!"

are really annoying. and should be...well, if not banned, humiliated. For example, the admins should have a CP command to pants people for being stupid. Or set them on fire. So when you click on their profile you see a burning person with no pants running around in circles. Maybe it wouldn't stop noobs but it would be funny.

23. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

DZ/015, although you didn't make posts, did you log onto MacRumors each time you visited? Even though you would have had a post count of zero, your profile would have shown that you were still active. :)

24. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

Either's good.

Q and mudbug are both great mods. :)

25. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44