Newer Motherboards

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by GyroFX, May 13, 2002.

1. GyroFX macrumors 6502

I would like to know if it's possible to change my mother board to that of the ones coming out during summer ie ones with ddr ram, faster bus etc...I have a Dual Ghz right now. And any assumptions on how much a mother board like that will cost? Is it reallly worth it? Thanx

2. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

Hey

I don't think you can, this is because you can't (as far as I know) buy the motherboards. I suppose technically you could but it almost certainly break the warranty etc...

Ensign

3. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

Even most sites that sell motherboards (mostly old ones) only accept trade-ins. I'm afraid that Apple's HW is one package until they get so old that people part 'em out for more $. It's still incredibly hard to find parts-- you have to be very resourceful.

4. Choppaface macrumors 65816

i think a student here said that he was able to get motherboards, processors, and all those pieces separatly...dunno who though

5. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

I don't think it would be worth it, personally. The mobo may be redesigned because of the rumored new tower design anyway, so it wouldn't fit without some modding. It seems like it would be more of a hassle than its worth.