Newest Car and Oldest Car

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by jefhatfield, Jan 6, 2006.

1. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

who here has the newest car? bought in the last month, last week, today?

and who here has the oldest car? - with original parts, or rebuilt engine/tranny/major parts?

my car, all original except for tires, battery, starter and two disk brakes, is a 1984 volvo station wagon with 175,000 miles on it (here's pix of similar car - www.vandsautodismantlers.com/new_arrivals/320x240/040363_dr.jpg ...pretty old but i know there are some people with original, or mostly original 60s and 70s cars

2. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

only tranport i got is the number 6 train in New York...and i think they changed the parts many times

Bless

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Do I win? A substantial 2LP, so old it predates horses.

[​IMG]

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

my old boss has a 1948 Buick. Black. original interior and engine. the brakeline on it is shot. its column stick shift and original engine. needs a good deal of work though.

5. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

6. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Mmm Teardrop Buick nice car,no I'm not that old but I grew up in a country where 30's and 40's cars were common.

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Runs on grass. I don't know who's stupid idea it was to put the twin exhausts just in front of the cabin though. :(

8. aquajet macrumors 68020

I would actually really like to get one of these..

Attached Files:

9. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

What is this, a car for ants! It needs to be at least three times bigger!

10. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

^^ thats hot...4 wheel drive too damn thats hot
    yabba dabba

Bless

11. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Like Flintstone, I also drive with no socks or shoes. I don't have to push the car with my feet, though.

That's like a 2 wheel car when you think about it.

12. aquajet macrumors 68020

Well... I can see how you feel about ants :mad:

:D

13. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

I have a 1968 Austin Healey Sprite Mark IV. The kicker is, it only has 15000 miles on it. I can get some pictures later if people want.

Ben

14. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

that is amazingly low mileage for a car of that age...is it with original engine? please post pix

15. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

My brother drives a 1958 Magnette. I'm happy with 21st century stuff.

16. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

do you have any 21st century cars? if so, maybe you have the newest car here

one day, i hope to buy a hybrid and for a day, or week or so, i will have the newest car and i can donate my gas guzzler to some charity :)

17. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

It's a 4 year old Caravan. Pure sex on wheels, I'll tell ya! I'm sure there are newer rides than that around :D
    It sure would be nice if there was a hybrid for actual real life sale that was a practical size for carrying stuff.

18. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

don't most people just have just themselves (ok, with clothes on) in their car?...maybe a spouse or a kid or two (clothes on also? ;) ) ...what do they need to carry? and how often?

i have a gardening/landscaping business and a computer repair business so i can justify a large station wagon, and even then i feel guilty for using up so much gasoline

19. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

You asked for it, so you got it. The miles are all original, some of them coming from when the car was used in stock races.

Somewhere along the life of the car, it sat in a barn for roughly 7-10 years (I'm still trying to find more details out about that through registration records). I found it about a year ago out in the desert of washington and trailed it back with my buddies truck (didn't want to test the reliability of it so soon). So far the only major problem I've had with it (of course involving the Lucas electrics) was from the vacuum operated starter soleniod. After replacing that, it's started up like a champ every time (although I have it in storage for the winter).

From the picture you can see my buddy looking into the car. For reference, he's about 5'10''. When I'm standing next to the car (about 6'), the top of the windshield comes up to my waist and the top of the tub comes half way up my thigh. When driving city streets, I'm usually at eye level with SUV's and medium size trucks. It really makes you think twice about defensive driving.

Ben

Attached Files:

20. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

it must rain a lot where you are...how do you deal with rust, or do you dry it off every time? or is that the original body or did it get a refin/body work?

it looks like it is ready, or can be, for vintage car shows...very nice vehicle and, he he, i wish i looked that fresh at 38 ;)

21. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

Well, as far as the rain (which is somewhat of a myth up there, it's more of a mist), I never let the car see the rain. In an effort to improve the leg room in the car, I'm working on a project to remove the roof. It spends all of it's time in a garage, under a car cover. I also keep it with a hefty coat of wax to protect it even further.

I guess I could put it towards original condition, but that's not my goal. I love the look of the car, but the tranny has trouble going over 55mph (no overdrive). I'd rather do slight modifications to make it more comfortable for me (tranny swap, add a radio, remove the roof, reupholster the interior among other things).

Thanks for the compliments!

Ben

22. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Nice car, but we don't need to know its sexual orientation.
    :eek:

23. haiggy macrumors 65816

24. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

It is notexactly my car but it is the family car...

We have a 1980 triumph spitfire. The body is in good condition. NO rust or anything like that. There are a few little stone chips and stuff on the car but those are going to be fixed in a little bit. We do have the soft top and the hard top for it.

The biggest problem with the car is that it spits and sputters when it is ideling. It runs great when you are on the gas and moving but if you let it sit at an idel it does not run very well. We think it has to do with the carb. We also have a problem with the tac...sometimes it will work and sometimes it will not (mostly not). The car is in the shop right now getting worked on and that stuff should be fixed when spring starts.

I dont have any pics of my own but these are some that match the car EXACTLY! All the parts on the car ar original...so far...but that will probably change when we replace the carb.

Here are the pics

Attached Files:

25. KingSleaze macrumors 6502

Newest car

I've got a 2006 Saturn Vue that I won in GM's Hot Button promotion.