Newest Longhorn *SURPRISE* Copies OSX!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by dotdotdot, Mar 21, 2005.

1. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

Here is a pic of the 'all new' functionality that is 'sure' to make Windows safer.

Anyone think this looks at ALL familiar?

[​IMG]

Longhorn is beginning to look REALLY good, and now its copying Mac...

Looking good = taking OSX' white theme, and morphing it...

Safer = taking OSX install functions...

I am going to get Longhorn, as I am never going to be a 'full switcher' until i'm in college which is a while away b/c my hs and jr hs require windows...

How much you want to bet a) 50% of users dont make passwords, and b) About 2 hours after longhorn's release, a fix generates a password and installs anything.

At least the screenshot shows that it doesnt have the stupid "Microsoft made it, Windows will run it" idea...

2. iGary Guest

iGary

"Why do I need an administrator password here?"

Because you're a tool for using Winblows.

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

haha that cracked me up iGary, still laughing, thanks

4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

While I'm not usually one to bash Microsoft, I have to say that MS probably thinks that if they do everything the same as in OSX, their system will work just as well as Panther. Yeah, it looks different, but its the same way OSX works. I guess that's what MS will continue to do. I don't want to think this way, but now I do.

And I love how it says "Windows Security" at the top. Nice oxy-moron. ;)

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Can I ask a dumb but related question? Suppose someone already set up their Mac so that their main user account is an admin *shifts eyes nervously from side to side*.

Is there a way to make it so that any changes to the Applications folder trigger a request for authentication? Right now, one need only authenticate to install an app that puts contents somewhere other than the home folder and the /Applications folder. But I'd like it if one had to authenticate before one deleted/added anything to /applications too....

6. iGary Guest

iGary

Pleasure's mine. :D

7. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Oh, come on now. It's better to have a help link in the dialog box that answers the question than to subject the IT staff to a bunch of calls from users who are trying to install stuff they are not supposed to be installing.

And I can see already that many Mac users, who already slam Windows for not being adequately secure, are NOW going to slam Longhorn for being too much like OS X. There are only so many ways to design a dialog box and so many ways to express the concept of "please enter your password so that we may install software". Yeah, they're copying a feature of OS X. That's a GOOD thing. Isn't it?

8. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

At least M$ realizes which one of the two OSes is the better... :rolleyes:

9. iGary Guest

iGary

They're gonna have to call you anyway. :eek:

10. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yes and no. It's good for Windows users to get elements of an operational OS but it's not quite fair on Apple to rip features from them without giving credit. I suppose it's an example of competition and a means by which Apple can further develop OSX to be an even better system.

11. dotdotdot thread starter macrumors 68020

I'm a Windows user who is slamming Longhorn for being too much like OSX...

I mean, Microsoft HAS the money and HAS the technology and HAS the people to rewrite the ENTIRE machine - Ditch 'Windows...' its old

Originally, for like a month, MS said it was to be changed so much that people thought that it wasnt Windows - it was: Microsoft Longhorn Codename 2004 or something like that (when it was for 2004) NOW its a new version of Windows which is based on Windows 95 which is based on Windows 3.1 which is based on MS-DOS from like 1986

OSX is based on NeXT or something but the coding = 2000.

Difference?

12. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

You've got to be kidding. Credit? Only if Apple patented the feature, which I'm going to assume they did not. Or are you suggesting that no one can ever copy a feature of someone else's product?

Like I said, this is going to be another one of those cases where certain people slam Microsoft for doing the wrong thing (e.g., not having an OS that's as secure as it should be) and then for doing the right thing (e.g., securing the OS in a reasonable fashion).

13. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

OK, fair enough, credit isn't quite the right word. It's just really frustrating to see Windows users complain bitterly about OSX only to have their own OS get more and more similar.

14. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Yeah, there's a big difference between Apple and Microsoft. Microsoft has a user base that's 19 times as large (going on a 95% vs. 5% marketshare), running on a virtually-infinite number of hardware platforms (unlike the comparatively low number of Mac platforms) and they can't do what Apple did and make an OS that's incompatible with the previous OS (e.g., OS X vs. OS 9). Backwards compatibility must be maintained, so the complexity of the task of creating a new OS, with new features, that still runs apps designed for the older OS, is a LOT harder. This can result in release dates slipping... would you rather they released something as important as a new OS on time, or late but with everything working?

15. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

Where did you find that?

16. ----Bowie---- macrumors regular

Apple gave credit to Microsoft when they stole fast user switching for Panther.

17. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I'm not saying they didn't, but how did they do that?

18. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

I feel for them, I really do ....

19. ----Bowie---- macrumors regular

Steve did when he was previewing Panther at WWDC

20. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Thanks, I suppose this means that strictly speaking, Bill should do the same at the intro for Longhorn but I can't see it happening and to be honest, I don't think the similarities between the looks of the two OSs are as close as those between the fast user switching ones are.

21. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

22. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

MS really needs to work on overhauling their system, its sad that so many 'features' of Longhorn have already been taken out of it

23. ~loserman~ macrumors 6502a

This is silly.
    These types of dialog boxes are nothing new. I've seen these in many other OS's before OS X.... Solaris and Irix to name just 2.

It's standard stuff.

24. Mr. Durden macrumors 6502a

When Steve was showing how it works, he said that MS had been outdoing the Mac with this feature, but now the Mac had caught up and passed its Windows counterpart in the user switching feature.

It was in his Keynote.