Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

h'biki

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2003
Sydney, Australia
bwawn said:
The hard drive is the 5400RPM 80GB, by the way.

5400s are generally noiser than 4800s.

Your description sounds very much like my Powerbook and I don't consider it abnormal... maybe I'm just not picky. I'm used to working on a dual g4 desktop with 4 internal hard drives and 2 externals... and thats loud.

spencecb

Suspended
Nov 20, 2003
I currently have a 15" AL PowerBook, which replaced my TiBook. I can say that the Al PB is much quieter than the TiBook. Even when the fan does come on (and it does), it is quiet and not much of a distraction. Of course, it won't come on if you don't do a lot of heavy computing, but mine comes on often because I fun FOLDING all the time, so my processor never really cools down. One thing different about the fan on the AL PB's, they only run for a few minutes and then turn back off, whereas the TiBook's fan would run until it returned the insides to its appropriate temperature. Hope that helps :)

OldManJimbo

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2004
California Coast
12" 1GHz PB - sometimes I have to look over to see if it's even on - very quiet. Fan runs when I have a lot of apps going but nothing like the Dell latitude is switched from. That thing sounded like a Maytag all day long.

Opitical drive produces some noise, but that's understandable. Nothing more than expected.

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
Mine has been much quieter since I got an A/C for my room. Besides keeping the ambient temp lower, the noise from it (and my speakers) also drowns out the PB whenever the fans come on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.