newly switched from 9 and I HATE OS X, here's why:

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by motulist, Dec 3, 2003.

1. motulist macrumors 68040

Dec 2, 2003
    I'm a long time mac user and lover and I just got a new powerbook and I HATE OSX!!! Here's why. The 2nd thing I tried to do with the powerbook, plaing a VCD, crashed the os. you can read that thread here

Alright fine. So I go on and try to sign up for the "free" 30 days of earthlink. It says just drag the earthink icon to the apps folder and it is installed, so I do that. At the begining of the install it says what you will need. I got throught the lengthy sign up procedure and at the very end it wants my credit card info. It didnot say at the top I need to give it credit card info! I don't want to give it that cause it will automatically charge my card if I dont cancel after 30 days and I dont want to have to keep track of that. Ok, fine, that's more false underhanded though legal advertising. So I want to get rid of the app now. I run the uninstaller. It says please locate the earthink folder, so I do. It moves that to the trash and leaves the app in the apps folder and the earthlink system preference is still there! How do I get rid of it? It is not obvious like it was in the old os. next I decide to play try out the system prefs to customize things. I go to the universal access pref and play with the zoom. using the key commands I zoom in a little, then out a little. I wanted to see how far it went so I zoomed all the way in to the point of ridiculous and then guess what. The zoom out key command stops working for no reason and I am stuck at maximum zoom. I try to restart "blind" by hitting the power button and then enter but to no avail. I spend the next hour or so trying to get the zoom off in mega zoom. Finally for some reason it restarts. perhaps I clicked on a restart button on screen, I have no idea I could not see anything. So it restarts and thankfully the zoom is off. I wanted to throw my powerbook out a window.

And as for the every day stuff the os has made 2 steps foward from 9 and about a thousand steps back. When I open a folder it usually opens in colums or buttons even though I have the view pref to always open in columns. The colums window is the worst, even though it dosen't have to be. When it opens it allways opens in a medium sized window regardless of how much there is to display. so you have to move around a lot. why not just open it as big as it needs to be? so I go to option click maximize the way I did in 9 which automatically mad a window full screen. It does not work, this functionality is gone, or perhaps moved. So I have to grab the window and manually resize it. Yet I still cant see what I'm looking at because all the columns defalt to one size regardless of how many characters are in the file names so every many names are truncated! So now I have to drag the dividers just to see what I'm looking at. close a window and come back? everything is gone and you have to start from scratch. this is useability?

The dock. Oi vey, where do I start. First and foremost is WHY CANT I TURN THE DAMN THING OFF! If I hide it it always pops up when I get near it. If I dont like it why do I have to suffer through it's presence? NOw as for it's functionality. compared to the os 9 apple menu it's like it's like a broken down model t. In the old apple menu I had about 5 things in there. I had my hd, apps and documents folders. among my folders I had a level or two of sub categories like audio apps, online apps, etc. It took one mouse click some small mouse movements and a second mouse click. With the dock you can only have a limited number of items before it gets out of control. you can put things in order but there is no seperation or demarkation of where one group ends and another begins! that's bad enough. but add to that the fact that your groups are always moving depending on how many apps you have opened and how many windows you have minimized and it becomes disatrous. So I decide to put my hd in the dock to use it as a surrogate apple menu. Except now I have to click and hold and hold just to get it to pop up or I have to option click. why? why cant I specify the way folders respond in the dock?

I could go on but I doubt anybody is still reading. The thing I like about os 9 was that everything was very logical and everything seemed exremely well thought out and functionality and useabilty were paramount. Now all that seems to matter is "how pretty does it look?" Honestly, I feel like there is little difference now between the mac and microsoft bull droppings. Of course it's not the same, and I'm not saying it is. What I'm saying is, the essential spirt, the guiding pricipals, the soul, that made the mac wonderful in the past are I'm sorry to say gone and dead forever. Or that is until the old os 9 hardware ceases to function. Viva La ???
  2. howard macrumors 68020

Nov 18, 2002
    seems like your going against the grain here.

in otherwords, instead of embracing changes your rejecting them cause there different.

the dock is extremely useful, your just not using it correctly it seems, you just have to get used to it and you'll find a very nice system.

if you don't like the way things view in the finder just change it.

i'm a little confused by your explaination... you don't like columns window but you have it set to always open in columns?

i like the list so whenever i encounter a folder that is in icons i just press the list button and the folder stays like that forever until i change it.

if you use it for a while longer, learn how everything works and still don't like it...well i guess thats just to bad. sorry
  3. motulist thread starter macrumors 68040

Dec 2, 2003
    it is useful. I'm not saying it isn't. It's just greatly reduced useability from the apple menu. and on top of that, the elegance that defined the method of funtionality in the past has been replace with a tunnel vision ideology based on astetics.

As a matter of fact you were right. Somehow that option was enabled even though I thought I had it turned off.
  4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    So how did you get OS 9 to boot on a brand new PB15 with DDR memory?

Most others couldn't. ;)

Or are you planning of selling the new PB15?

So if you're keeping the new PB15, you're stuck in OS X.
  5. Fukui macrumors 68000

Jul 19, 2002
    Maybe..... Just drag any shortcuts that you may have had in the apple menu and drag them to the dock. right click (click-hold) and boom, thier all there.

I think you really need to try and "get used" to how OS X does things, maybe it will get better, and as always, you can send feedback to apple on thier OS X page...better than complaining here right? :)
  6. Foxer macrumors 65816

Feb 22, 2003
    Washington, DC
    I don't think you can hold Apple or OSX responsible for your Earthlink experience. Anyway, that seems to be pretty standard procedure for any "free trial" thing.

I also can't understand your issues with uninstalling. Drag to the trash - no problems.

I love OSX. I came back from the dark side back in 2001 after a long absense, so I never got to use OS 9, so I have no basis for comparison, really. But to compare OSX to Windows is, from my point of view, a bit of hyperbole.
  7. howard macrumors 68020

Nov 18, 2002
    funny, i totally forgot to mention this but even though os x concentrates more on looks, i actually kinda like the look of os 9 better...i posted a thread about that not to long ago.

but to me os x has a lot more functionality
  8. Mantat macrumors 6502a

Sep 19, 2003
    Montréal (Canada)
    It is interesting to see how people think that switching from one OS to the other would be totaly painless and you can hit the ground running as soon as it is installed...

Most of your complain are caused by your ignorance and lack of reading the manual... One exemple, to hide the dock just press CTRL-SHIFT-D. Oups, not sure about the CTRL key and cant double check since I am on a PC (!), but my point is that you can remove it when you want, you just have to do the shortcut.

I am not saying you are an idiot, its just that you expect yourself to be as good in OSX than in OS9 right from the start. Give yourself so time to learn it! Yes, you will have to relearn some shortcuts but it worth it in the long run...
  9. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

Sep 18, 2003
    London, UK
    if you don't like the dock you can hide it with cmd+option+d.

It takes some getting used to but it is great. One thing I'd like to be added: more contextual menu support. And I should be able to 'right' click a minimised window and have the option to close it there and then, not have to re-open it and then press the little red widget.

EDIT: Oops, Mantat just beat me to the hide dock option!
  10. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Jul 6, 2003
    Los Angeles
    There are ways to deal with the things you talked about, but I don't get the impression you want help. I hope it felt good to vent.
  11. mklos macrumors 68000

Dec 4, 2002
    My house!
    Of course its not like OS 9! Thats why its called OS X and not OS 9! I think you need to use it for about a month and really get used to doing things. OS X is a little hard to use at first, but if you use it for week or two then you'll know why Apple did the things they did and just how darn easy it is to use. Now you have to remember that this is a farily new OS compared to OS 9 which as evolved from OS 6, 7, and OS 8. Mac OS X is a totally new OS with a brand new interface. So its not going to operate like OS 9.

My dad used to say the same thing about OS X. That was because he didn't know how to use it at all. So he made me put OS 9 back on. Then he came to his senses and realized that he basically had no choice, but to use OS X because almost all new Applications are written for OS X not OS 9. Now he loves OS X and I think you will too once you use it.

Some of the features in OS 9 are in OS X. For example, Spring Loaded folders, Labels,etc.. Some things are even easier, such as adding a printer. All you really have to do is plug it in the outlet, plug it in the computer and turn it on. It should automatically add your printer to the list of printers. At least thats what I did with my EPSON 8 Cubed printer. All I did was plug it in and turn it on and it automatically added itself to the printer list. The same goes for my new laser printer.

If you want to get rid of an application just drag it to the trash just like in OS 9. Only the preference will be left behind which is harmless without the app to read from it. Who said you had to go through an uninstaller here? This isn't a Windoze OS!

Just use it for a while and I think you'll like it. I think you'll find that its easier to use, crashes less, recovers from a crash better, and operates quicker.
  12. Fukui macrumors 68000

Jul 19, 2002
    Yea exactly, try this OS9: you got two mac on a LAN or Wireless, share one printer from one, now on the other mac, start any app, and go to file->print, and be amazed that the other printer was automatically added from the shared one...thats convenience...
  13. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    So, let me get this straight. When you first sat down to use a Macintosh with System 6 or System 7, you didn't have any trouble? You knew how to do everything right away and it all worked the way you expected?

Yeah, sure it did. Tell me another one.

As far as deleting applications. Without an uninstaller, it works exactly the same way it did in System 6. You run around and delete all the little pieces. That's why Spring Cleaning is still available. It finds all of the orphaned files and helps you delete them.

You're going to have to live with change. It happens quite frequently.

Oh, and by the way, the headlight dimmer switch is now on the turn signal stalk. ;)
  14. 7on macrumors 601

Nov 9, 2003
    Dress Rosa
    If the prefpane for earthlink is still in your System Preferences, search for and delete

I believe your cache isn't updating right. Cause, I believe the uninstaller should have removed the earthlink prefpance from your system preferences. Anyhoo, try out iChat if you're on a network with other OSX users, it'll rock your world.
  15. demian64 macrumors newbie

Nov 12, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    I would take it easy on this person. I've been using OS X for 2 years and I STILL think the Dock sucks and that connecting to servers takes too long (as of Jaguar, Panther does seem quicker). I belong to a number of usability lists and just about everyone on them agrees: the Dock is an abomination of good usability. Having an iconic rather than textual reference to running apps is not very useful and the manner in which the Dock expands is horrendous, especially for power users. Also, the new shortcuts just blow and are pretty useless and a number of them just don't work sometimes no matter how often I've pressed them, the logout command comes to mind. Also I don't understand the logic of changing make alias APPLE-L. I do think that OS X is a tremendous jump forward in terms of power and memory allocation and having a Unix terminal at your command is fantastic but I think they still have a way to go in terms of usability. Panther seems to be the first step in that direction but I think it's going to be awhile till a lot of people are satisified. Truth be told, Panther, IMHO, is the first truly FULL OS iteration of OS X with the initial release being a sad joke.
  16. Fukui macrumors 68000

Jul 19, 2002
    Yes. Definitely. Though Jag was very close FWIW...
  17. johnnowak macrumors 6502

Jul 24, 2003
    New York, New York
    Motulist, going OS 9 -> OS X is even harder than going Windows -> OS X.

I assure you though, that once you get used to it, you'll find yourself even more productive. The new finder, while it seems clunky at first, allows very fast navigation when you get used to it. The dock is great, and allows you to easily add and remove applications and documents from it. Getting used to it on your screen is tricky, but after you do its fine. I recommend setting it not to hide, as having it pop up is very annoying. Just make it very small.

Good luck with your system. I'm sure in a week or so you'll be more comfortable, with absolute comfort coming in an uncertain time in the next few weeks. ;-)

One more tip.. don't do things the OS 9 way and have each folder you open show in a new window. The OS X was is better once you get used to it. Just be sure to customize the tool bar and add the path window so you can go back if need be. And remember, command-double-click will open whatever folder you want in a new window.
  18. Kid Red macrumors 65816

Dec 14, 2001
    Wow, I just got deja vu. It's as though these anti-X pro-9 arguments were said 4 years ago?!

You can either embrace technology, or tighten your grip on 9 because you'll have to make a change sooner or later.
  19. 3-22 macrumors regular

Nov 19, 2002
    I'm a long time mac user and lover and I just got a new powerbook and I HATE OSX!!! Here's why. The 2nd thing I tried to do with the powerbook, plaing a VCD, crashed the os. you can read that thread here

Well you lost me after the first paragraph, but as for the line "a mac user and lover" sometimes it's ok to date other people. Atleast give OS X a couple dinners and a movie before you make a decision. OS 9 is ok for my toddler's computer, but I'll stick with OS X and unix.
  20. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

Sep 18, 2003
    London, UK
    I have a friend (the only one I know who has a Mac!) who has a flat panel iMac (G3 iMac before that) and still refuses to run OS X. When I asked him for advice about getting a new PowerBook he said, "Use OS 9" (which I can't anyway). He only uses it for email, etc.

I guess he needs time to adjust. But for Windows -> OS X users like me we can't understand why people prefer OS 9. People are naturally resistant to change I guess. At home, our new Win XP will take getting used to after 98 (even though it's much less of a change than OS 9->X)...
  21. vrapan macrumors regular

Jul 16, 2003
    Hi you actually mentioned only two problems and no we wouldnt stop reading since there are solutions and there are people here that can possibly help you with things you dont know yet or can't do yet. Now on a 3 yo operating system there are still problems.

My finder preferences do not stick as well as I would like them to, I would like the dock to have spring folders functionality, I would like the option to close an app from the dock, I would like to be able to move in lists by pressing a letter and jump to the first entry that starts with that letter and other minor improvements which arguably would make the OS better. I have never used OS9 since I came straight from 9 years of Windows experience and let me tell you one thing. I had problems with Win95 that are alive and well in WinXP and others that just got worse. I do not expect Longhorn to solve them because MS tries to add functionality without putting nearly enough effort on fixing the old problems.

With OS X I used 10.2.3 till 10.2.6 and 10.3 is already a huge improvement on it. With 10.4 I do expect several of my complains to go away and reasonably so since 10.3 fixed several of the problems I had with 10.2 . My opinion is that you should just give the poor thing a bit credit for improving and some time.
  22. bcsimac macrumors 6502

Nov 4, 2002
    Bolivar, TN
    You just need to get used to Mac OS X. I have been using OS X since it was Developer Preview 3. It took some time to get used to it. I just kept on using it right through DP4, Public Beta, and the first release Cheeta. I was happy when Puma came out and even happier when Jaguar came out. I am sure Panther is going to be very cool when I finally am able to afford to get it. I never once complained about the interface elements. I did complain about classic issues and some issues concerning file types. I have basically made Mac OS X my main os since 10.0.4 and have never turned back.

I will admit that I wasn't happy with Panther removing the default browser, email, and newsgroup settings within system prefs.
  23. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

Jan 15, 2003
    51st State of America
    If the coin had 2 more sides, here they are

I came from windows ME and most of the changes weren't apparent until i went back to windows for some work (yuck). Windowing in windows is poor after using OSX for nearly 9 months, its needs an expose type feature even XP does.
    Anyway, poor windowing is worse on windows, at least OSX is striving to reduce the pain here.

But i have used OS9 as well and i cannot stand it, i'm glad it isn't the OS of choice.
    If i want to use a program i have to open the folders in the HD to get to it, at least the dock offers me one click functionality. There is no dock and the Apple menu offers programs i don't use. But these are college computers anyway, i mean they have DVD player for imacs with CDRW drives!

But OSX isn't perfect...

The 2 things i do not like about the dock however is that apps that are minimised are not affected by expose, i would prefer it if it dragged them back out of the dock and if a window is off half the screen and you used expose to bring it to front, it should move it to the center of the screen. Not bring it to the front but leave it where it is halfway off the screen!

Now i have to drag it!
  24. Counterfit macrumors G3

Aug 20, 2003
    sitting on your shoulder
    You do know you can turn that off right? It's in the Apple menu, in the Dock submenu. Is it really that hard to look?
  25. demian64 macrumors newbie

Nov 12, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    You can turn off magnification, you can't set the width of the dock which seems content on expanding till all icons are infinitesimal.