News Anchors

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by stubeeef, Sep 11, 2004.

1. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Because we all like to get our news from a few sources, and I'm sure we all check what the others are saying from time to time, which is your favorite and why? It seems a relevent question throughout all of these threads, the slamming of a source (like me slamming "rabid" rather) and heralding of another.
    Tom Brokaw, who I do admire, retires in December of 2004, and Brian Williams will take his seat.
    Who do you admire?

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

not sure how loosely we're going to define "anchor," but i like charlie rose, jim lehrer and bill moyers.

3. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

John Stewart - sometimes he actually shoots straighter than the "real" news anchors.

4. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

5. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Lehrer and Warner, with an edge to Warner. If you'd like to see how an interview or a panel discussion should be conducted, watch the way Warner does it. She asks excellent questions and never gets in the way.

6. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

7. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I always liked Peter Jennings, whom I consider the coolest, most logical mind in the news business. I was just reminded of that yesterday because of Sept. 11. I remember when the (second?) tower fell, he was almost speechless. Rather than prattle on, all he quietly said was what all of us were thinking: "Oh...my...God........."

But you're right, Brokaw is cool as well. And frankly, I admire the stand Dan Rather is taking right now regarding that National Guard document. Pretty gutsy move.

And I am rapidly warming up to Keith Olberman and his Countdown show. Witty, smart, and often as in-depth, if not moreso, than the big three networks' news.

8. stubeeef thread starter macrumors 68030

stubeeef

I'll add that is nice to watch Hiedi on CNN, I don't care what she is saying only that they have her on to say it! ;)

9. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

ladies and gentlemen, we have a symptom.

10. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Now all we need is a cure.

11. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

The first step is always denial.

12. stubeeef thread starter macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Boy, do you guys need to lighten up, playgirl just made the news with the sexiest anchor list........
    I hope that the guys and gals out there are capable of noticing these things!
    If not, cut off your computer for a day and go outside and meet people...
    geeez

I also admire Scarborough, I like to watch Hardball, Keith Olberman & countdown, Lou Dobbs, and love Russert.

But Hiedi is attractive, comeon, give me that......

13. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Now you're talking! That's the only "news" show I watch with any regularity. I get my news from solid, reliable weblogs ;) and left-leaning online newspapers such as the NY times.

Otherwise, my wife watches Headline News in the morning and that infobabe they've got on then is pretty cute.

14. takao macrumors 68040

takao

at the moment: none

in the past: Robert Hochner (former anchorman of the austrian "Zeit im Bild" of the ORF...the 19:30 show gets about 1-1,2 million viewers on average)
    he was the _the_ political interviewer and a journalist by heart....
    sadly ....like always ...death gets them too early (cancer in his case...)

15. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

ill watch pretty much anyone who isn't on FOX

16. stubeeef thread starter macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Glad you noticed!!!!You are not the borg!! :D

17. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Interesting topic Stu...unfortunately, I am unable to directly contribute as I have not watched TV since the late 90's...and I have never watched cable (other than the odd HBO movie ). I don't know any of the names being discussed here, with the exception of the Network News Anchors, who have been around forever...

I personally have never been a fan of talking-head punditry, as TV is just not a format for the (proper) dissemination of complex political issues/realities. I prefer the newspaper or (to a lesser degree) the Internet for News.

Perhaps I am missing out, although I doubt it...

One other thing...While a good Anchor definitely has certain qualities and adds immeasureably to the credibility of a News organization, they are merely a mouthpiece. While Brokaw or Donaldson or whomever may strike you as Liberal or Conservative, imo, this is no different than them striking you as competent, self-assured or cocky...a perception, not necessarily a reality. In any case, they do not choose the News, they merely read it...