News Corporation Shutting Down Digital Newspaper 'The Daily'

Discussion in ' News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 3, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

As part of a lengthy press release sharing details on its separation into two independent publicly traded companies, News Corporation announced that it will be shutting down its digital newspaper The Daily on December 15. The Daily launched in early 2011 at a media event hosted by Rupert Murdoch and Apple's Eddy Cue, with the iPad-focused newspaper positioned as a groundbreaking new publishing paradigm priced at just $0.99 per week.

Apple's Eddy Cue (left) and News Corp.'s Rupert Murdoch at the launch of The Daily
    But rumors of The Daily's potential cancelation began surfacing earlier this year as the publication continued to draw revenues well below that needed to sustain the initiative, and even a 30% cut in staff was not enough to save it.
    Aside from its attempts to make its mark as a new newspaper publishing model, The Daily also led the way for Apple's In App Subscription effort, allowing users to simply and easily sign up for recurring content subscriptions directly within apps and billed to their iTunes Store accounts.

Article Link: News Corporation Shutting Down Digital Newspaper 'The Daily'
  2. macrumors 68030

Aug 10, 2010
    macrumors apparently
  3. macrumors 68020

Oct 12, 2006
    I might have considered reading it if I wasn't immediately turned off by the terrible performance of the news "carousel" you were first presented with.
  4. macrumors newbie

Sep 20, 2012
    Winter Springs, FL
  5. macrumors 601

Oct 1, 2010
    Why pay for news that you can get for free somewhere else.
  6. macrumors 603

Feb 3, 2008
    Essex (UK)
    Hang on..... I think I see it...

Yep, there's your problem. A perfectly capable web browser. :p
  7. macrumors 65816

Ambrose Chapel

Jul 24, 2002
    Meanwhile, Marco Arment's The Magazine proved its financial viability after one issue. Eventually one of the traditional publishing companies will figure this out, right?
  8. macrumors newbie

Dec 27, 2007
  9. macrumors member

Aug 18, 2008
    Birmingham, AL
    I'm a subscriber, read the Daily every day, and will miss it.
  10. macrumors regular

Sep 10, 2007
    Now if I could just disable the Newsstand app :/. I can't even put it into a folder to "hide" it.
  11. macrumors 65816

Sep 2, 2009
    Guess I'm one of the only ones that subscribed. I enjoyed it and the magazine like style was great. The later revisions after being updated and ditching the carousel made the app way better. It's a shame is going by the wayside.
  12. macrumors 6502a

Jul 5, 2007
    Ft. Lauderdale
  13. macrumors 6502a

Mac Fly (film)

Feb 12, 2006
  14. macrumors 6502a

Jul 24, 2011
    At some point content providers need to make money. Is advertising the only way for that to happen? Some smart financial person should stop screwing around on wallstreet and figure this one out and make a bundle. Also, find someone better then Mr. Murdoch to back up your idea.
  15. macrumors 68030

Oct 6, 2008
    I subscribed for a few weeks. The content wasn't bad. App was terrible on the 1st gen iPad - laggy and crashed every few pages.

On iPad 2 it was a lot better, but still annoying that you had to sit and wait while the app downloaded new content. With Newstand it might be better now if it downloads in the background, but I guess the main issue was with the idea - I had pretty much already seen everything in the paper already, the day before because of sites like Twitter.

I did like their daily crosswords though.
  16. macrumors 68020

Sep 21, 2006
    Glasgow, Scotland
    For me, the software was the problem here. I'm more than happy to pay for quality layouts, design and presentation, but the app was terrible. It improved somewhat after they ditched the carousel but it was still a terrible app.
  17. macrumors 6502a

Nov 8, 2007
    For me the problem was the content. It was lousy. This was not great journalism and IMO they were aiming at the wrong crowd for early adopters. They needed to set the sights a little higher and leave out all of the People magaziney type stuff.
  18. macrumors 65816

Aug 6, 2008
    St. Louis
    It's like a company selling air going out of business.
  19. macrumors 6502a

Jul 15, 2012
    I did a trial of The Daily back in the day.. The quality of their original content wasn't good enough to justify paid subscription. The "USA Today" caliber content doesn't cut it, given the wealth of high quality & free online news.

Also, their format with once-a-day static issues may work in a world of printed newspaper.. But it doesn't work online, where people are accustomed to instant and always-on news.

It only makes sense that The Daily failed.
  20. macrumors newbie

Apr 6, 2008
    Not Surprised

Besides the fact that there are a number of other sources from which to obtain information, free and otherwise, I could not bring myself to contribute financially to Rupert Murdoch's empire any more than I had to. I think there were a number of potential subscribers who shared concerns about the way the Daily's coverage might be skewed. I get enough "Fair & Balanced" news on the local FOX station.
  21. macrumors newbie

May 12, 2009
    Biased, bad product

What a surprise! This was one of the most reactionary publications I have ever seen. Totally biased, a flagship to extremism. Welcome to the trashcan of history. Hope The Daily did bleed money enough to avoid Murdoch to come back with some other piece of garbage like that...
  22. macrumors 6502

Mar 31, 2004
    Washington, DC
    IMO, the quality sank them. I will pay for quality content - I shell out $35 a month for NY Times web + smartphone + tablet access.

All I can say is that in terms of quality writing, the Times they were not. The fact that the editor is going over to the NY Post says everything.
  23. macrumors 6502a

Jan 23, 2003
  24. M-O
    macrumors 6502a

Mar 15, 2011
    but how will Rupert Murdoch make any money!? poor guy.
  25. macrumors member

Feb 10, 2008
    Tallahassee, FL
    Interesting you should say that - I never watch Fox (News?) but subscribed to the Daily for a few months and thought it was reasonably fair in it's articles and worth the 99 cents per week. Nice layout, decent content that didn't make me feel I was reading right-wing propaganda, but the lack of background downloads was annoying. When you go into the app you typically had to wait while it refreshed content, but that was my only complaint with it.

Overall, a good first effort from Murdoch and I'll be sorry to see it go.