1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

News freak

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by kidkasha, Oct 2, 2010.

1. macrumors member

I am thinking of buying Apple TV for my Imac dual core. I have a cable connection in my office. Can I watch news and cable tv in minimzed version while I work?? Thru my router will it work on other apple and PC computers?

2. macrumors 601

mrkramer

I think you are misunderstanding what the apple TV does, it streams content from your computer to your TV, not tv content to your computer

3. macrumors member

Thank you. However is there a way to stream tv to computer, again I do have a cable connection

4. macrumors member

Yes, checkout http://www.elgato.com :D

5. macrumors member

I recommend a slingbox: http://www.slingmedia.com/

6. macrumors 601

mrkramer

I'd second this, I have an eyeTV and it works well. I've heard good things about slingbox as well, but have no experience with it.

7. macrumors regular

go with the eyetv.

8. macrumors member

Eyetv is awesome. Especially if you have an iPad.

9. macrumors 6502a

Eyetv on atv will be even more awsome. Since its a A4 arm binary, may be hacking community will find a way .

10. macrumors member

which eyetv would you buy and does it come w/ software

11. macrumors 68030

From A Buick 8

That depends are you going to be using a feed from a cable company or will this BE OTA.

If it is from your cable company do they require you to have a "mini box" to get basic cable, or do you use one of the larger box's and get HD content

12. macrumors member

Have a direct cable, i had a tv on my desk

13. macrumors 68030

From A Buick 8

If your cable company has no plans to go to the "mini box" then i would get the eyeTV hybrid.

If they are going to the "mini box" which mine did about a week after i bought my eyeTV hybrid i would buy the eyeTV HD.

Both come with the eyeTV software.

Now i will need to either sell my eyeTV hybrid,or buy an RF blaster to use with it.