News groups

Discussion in 'macOS' started by bigboy99, Nov 17, 2005.

1. bigboy99 macrumors 6502

Is it possible to set up the Mail program OSX to use news groups? Thunderbird, OE Express, etc. all have this feature.

Thanks,

BB99

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Is there some reason that Thunderbird is not acceptable on OSX? There is a Mac version available.

3. bigboy99 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thunderbird works fine with OSX. The reason I moved to Apple Mail was my mail, mailboxes, and addresses all imported perfectly the first time, but the T-Bird import scheme is a nightmare. Apple mail seems to do all that T-Bird does except I haven't figured out if it's possible to view mail by custom date preference. Mozilla does offer newsgroups, though, and I cannot find them in Apple Mail.

4. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Apple's Mail doesn't support newsgroups, Thoth is probably the best reader if you can still find it, it's been discontinued although it's still running fine under 10.4.3.

MTNewswatcher is also pretty good.

5. bigboy99 thread starter macrumors 6502

I just figured ou how to sort mail by date - Smart Mailboxes. Still no love with newsgroups, though.

6. treblah macrumors 65816

treblah

Mail does not offer any newsgroup access. I would highly recommend Panic's Unison. Probably the best newsreader I have ever used.

7. Makosuke macrumors 603

I've never quite understood the appeal of having your newsreader and mail program combined, but I suppose it makes sense for some workflows.

In any case, Mail's not going to do it (probably ever--I don't see Apple adding this), so you're either going to need to switch to Thunderbird or Entourage, or use Mail for mail and a different app for your news; Thunderbird is of course a decent option, but I'd probably stick to a dedicated newsreader personally. Thoth was amazing, but MT Newswatcher is free and handles text groups quite well, and there are others (have a look at VersionTracker). Unison is nice, but it's more binary centric, so it's probably not worth the money over the free options unless you really like the interface.