News of the wierd.

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Backtothemac, Aug 21, 2002.

1. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Well, here it goes. Get yourself a seat, and some Popcorn.

I bought my wife the new 10GB iPod. This thing is amazing. I love it! I cannot tell you how unreal the design is. But, big problem (not with the iPod).

When I connect my iPod to my iMac 600 Flower Power, it begins to charge the iPod, and that is it. It will not connect, nor mount to iTunes, the Finder, or the Desktop.

Connect the iPod to my PowerBook 667 and boom. It works perfect.

Now here is the question. Has anyone seen anything like that before? If so, what have you heard of to fix that?

Thanks,
    B2TM

2. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

have you tried opening itunes first and then plugging in the ipod?....or has itunes been updated lately....i know one of the old versions was not compatible or "ipod ready"

3. firewire2001 macrumors 6502a

yeah.. you prolly want to check out yer itunes to see if you have the latest version...

unlike many other fiunctions on tyhe motherboard, firewire constantly puts out a farely constant amount of electricity allowing yer iPod to get recharged..

good luck...

-f

4. dnte42 macrumors regular

If a new iTunes doesn't help, you could always try downloading the recent iPod software...

5. firewire2001 macrumors 6502a

wellll.. the newest version of iTunes supports iPods -- even if not to the full extent with newest frimware, etc..

if he has only iTunes 2, it should at least recognize his ipod...

which leads me to another point -- if the firmware on the iPod is higher than that of the software on yer iMac, it may not work..

6. dnte42 macrumors regular

Yeah, you'd think. In my experience, tho, iTunes is good at misbehaving on some computers (it was responsible for bringing one completely down twice, among other minor library mismanagements and such). Wish I could offer some better advice :p.

7. dnte42 macrumors regular

8. Backtothemac thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Nope, no sleep mode. iTunes 3, iPod 1.2 software. Charges, but doesn't see it. Also, iMac cannot boot in Firewire target mode. I bet it has a bad controller, or needs a firmware update.

9. dnte42 macrumors regular

One last shread of anecdotal evidence I've heard is to unplug the computer for about five minutes and try again. Seems to have worked for a few people, try if you would like.

10. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

This may sound wierd, but try it anyway

If you have 9.2.2 installed, do a clean install of 9.2.1, and don't upgrade to 9.2.2 unless you need to. I don't know why it works, but it sometimes does.

11. Geert macrumors 6502a

Geert

that's strange, because normally the imac should recognize the ipod as a external HD...

BTM check the link that is posted above by dnte42 to the knowledge base, I've checked it and there should be a solution in that article for you somewhere

12. Backtothemac thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

It is the firewire ports on the iMac. It seems the controller is bad. That sucks!

Oh, well. Time to have my first experience with Apple repair.