News Story "Random Drug Testing"

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Texas04, Sep 25, 2006.

1. Texas04 macrumors 6502a

Texas04

This video is a story I just finished for our newscast about Random Drug testing, I like to get non objective views so I was wondering if you all would give me your views/comments (I realize that accident is mispelled, its been fixed... but i saw it after I exported it... and I dont wanna wait 30min again but it will be fixed on the final footage.)

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NUnUacLbyg

2. tweakers_suck macrumors regular

Sorry, I only watched the first 1:30. It was good, but too much detail on your keynote slides. There is not enough time to read it all. Keep it simple.

3. MacFan25863 macrumors 6502a

MacFan25863

I liked it, but have a few suggestions:

-You need lower thirds. I have no idea who is talking on any of the inteviews.
    -You need more b-roll, esp. on the first interview with the woman in the pink.
    -Some of your cuts are way too quick/don't match. Think 3-5 seconds for each b-roll shot.
    -You use some clips twice (choir)
    -The nat sound from the lady from the white house is awful...make it shorter or put more subtitles in, and make the subtitles eaiser to read.

Other than that, I like it. Maybe cut it down to ~2:30, and it would be great.

4. Texas04 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Texas04

Thank you all very much.
    I've looked over my slides and have edited them slightly to have a better view to the viewer... okay that was a weird sentance... lol

- lower thirds: (we add those in editing at school, we call them identifiers.. but thanks for noticing :).
    - what type of b-rioll might you suggest, I was thinking a few more shots of kids interacting with one another.
    -which cuts dont match? (not asking because i believe they do asking as a wondering to which ones dont)
    - edited the twice used clips
    - how would I make the subtitiles easier to read? I was trying to figure this out with the right font color and all. What would you suggest? Or should I have a bar behind it so it is easier to read, a type of graphic?
    - working on what to cut out for time sakes and keep both points of view and all the information...

Thank you very much for taking the time to watch it :)

5. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

In regards to subtitles, a small black shadow, or just a black outline around the white text would look good.

6. MacFan25863 macrumors 6502a

MacFan25863

Perhaps when you are talking for the first time, add in an image of the Supreme Court Ruling. During her interview, perhaps shots of what they are doing with the million dollars.

I'll have to rewatch it later to tell you about the cuts. For the subtitles, look into a bar or outline, like said earlier.

7. Texas04 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Texas04

How would I add that in Final Cut Express? Im a little new to it... :(

MacFan: Unfortuantley this will be broadcast on our TV station at the school and getting original footage of the supreme court from wayy over here in Texas is kinda hard... lol Would have been nice though.

Also I cant show what we are doing with the a million dollars. Its going to pay for the random drug testing... maybe I should make that clearer. It is all a confidential process and no one is allowed in the "testing" area or even should be allowed to know who got tested. So I would but... being a "restricted" journalist.. can't :mad:

Very good suggestions though and they are greatly appreciated! Keep em coming :)