News Video Is at Center of Storm Over Iraq Explosives

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by IJ Reilly, Oct 29, 2004.

1. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/iraq/la-na-explosives29oct29,0,5298441.story

2. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Saw this on ABC last night. Pretty much puts the lie to Bush's assertion that they were probably stolen before we invaded Iraq.

Asked why they didn't guard or lock the facility when they left, military officials said they just didn't have enough troops to do that...which disproves another Bush lie, namely that we do have enough troops.

3. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

From the gross negligence that created the problem to the constitutional inability to admit error, this story comes off like the Reader's Digest version of everything that's wrong with George Bush and his administration.

4. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I was watching a piece on this on Hannity and Colmes Wednesday night.

By the time it was over, the explosives had magically changed from 380 tonnes to a possible 3 tonnes, and were all smuggled out before we got there through the only part of the facility not sealed by the IAEA, the air ducts.

Think about that -- 380 tons, the weight of about 253 automobiles -- through the air ducts.

Seriously. It took less than five minutes for the truth to become fiction, and a lie to become unchallenged truth ('cause Colmes just sat there like a mute dumb-****, Sean's bitch as he is).

No wonder people who get their "news" from FOX are so helplessly stupid.

5. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

The only evidence I saw that it was gone before we got there... was people saying it was gone before we got there. All real evidence points to the contrary. Just because you say it boys, doesn't make it true. The few real weapons that actually were there, and we lose them because we are too busy spending what few resources we have guarding the oil fields.

And the nerve of Guiliani blaming the troops. Who sent them there in the first place under-funded, under-equiped, with poor training, not listening to the military leaders themselves when they told them things weren't going well (with no plans)... and then told the troops not to worry about this pit stop? :mad:

6. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Before this campaign, I thought Rudy Guliani had some character. Now I think he's just a partisan hack, who's gambling that his stumblebum loyalty to the party will pay dividends someday. Goodbye Rudy, it was nice to know you.

7. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I see someone else has read Al Franken's book... ;)

8. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

He's an opportunist just like the rest of them. Koch was the only one I really lost respect for, because there was a time that I actually did respect him. McCain and Powell are starting to lose it for me too. I half expected McCain to start backing Kerry (or Dean, if he had won the nomination). After watching them do to Kerry what they had done to him, you think he would have done a nice flip-flop and told Bush to shove it.

9. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Opportunism is one way to look at it. Few who've been elevated well up into the hierarchies of their parties will risk being seen as pariahs within the party. They are too readily isolated, which leads to a fall from power. This is especially true in the GOP, where most of the political power in the nation is centered currently, and why McCain hasn't led any sort of insurrection within his party. Despite his "maverick" reputation, at heart he's really just another party operative.

10. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Back on Topic

http://www.iht.com/articles/2004/10/29/news/explode.html
    Somebody needs to be fired.

11. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

You know, I love the thrust-and-parry of exposé journalism.

They produce a colonel who claims he hauled out a lot of munitions and destroyed them, and we bring out a French journalist who saw Islamic militants stealing them.

It's so much fun seeing their lies exposed.

12. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Two days and the boss gets the axe.

13. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Anyone want to guess how many people are going to be using the you're fired line if Kerry wins? Anyone else think Bush is going to steal keyboard keyes and office furniture? :p

14. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

He's already stolen everything else...

15. gastroboy macrumors newbie

It's good to see that investigative journalism isn't dead in the USA

I had given it up as all superceded by hair stylists, capped teeth and in-depth articles on pets.

16. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Careful you don't fall off that high horse...

17. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Bruce Springsteen is getting fired???

Once you've stolen an election, keyboards and office furniture are child's play.

18. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

And what happened to the Spanish government after they were exposed as lying to their populace about a major new development in the week prior to an election?

And for Christ's sake, what do you think would be happening to ANY democratic party member who had blamed THE TROOPS for the failure to secure these weapons? Would Hannity be shouting Colmes into a whimpering cur over THAT fact? You betcha!

Guilani should apologize and he should do it now. Bush should tell Guliani to stop campaigning for him. Guliani should go sit quietly and stay out of politics until he can remember just where exactly the buck stops. And it's not Buck Private.