NewsBin Pro replacement?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by atmosby, Jun 22, 2005.

1. atmosby macrumors newbie

Jun 22, 2005

I've made the leap to a Macintosh. Most of the programs I use regularly I've found replacements for. I haven't been so lucky with NewBin Pro.

Can anyone suggest a Mac OS-X replacement for me?

Thank you for your assstance,

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

Aug 15, 2001
    The Cool Part of CA, USA
    Well, currently the big binary-centric Usenet app on the Mac is Unison, from Panic. It's a fairly young newsreader, and has a somewhat different paradigm than other newsreaders, but it works fairly well. The other options that I'm familiar with are Hogwasher, which is more traditional but rather crusty, and Thoth, which is a very good program (and what I use), but the developer killed it a year or so ago. If you can dig up a vaild licence somehwere, I highly recommend Thoth, though.

If it's a discussion-oriented reader you're looking for, there are several free choices in addition to the above (Thoth also handles discussions quite well, by the way), but I'm not as familiar with them.
  3. sammyjojo macrumors newbie

Mar 30, 2004
    pan under x11 (install with fink or darwinports) will satisfy your newsbin needs ;) It's a little better in my opinion since it's an actual newsreader.
  4. taeclee99 macrumors 6502a

Jun 4, 2002
    Anywhere but here
    IMO Thoth is not only the best newreader software prog for the mac, it is the best newsreader program for any platform. I have used many programs for the pc including agent and newzbin pro and Thoth has them beat hands down. If you can find a copy, I would highly recommend Thoth. It is so choice!!!!