NewsFire vs. Safari RSS

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dylan, Mar 28, 2007.

1. dylan macrumors 6502

Jul 9, 2005
    I have a license for NewsFire but I haven't used it in the last few months. Instead I have been relying on Safari alone. I have found that I can accomplish all the same things and with better integration.

I'd love for someone to convince me to use NewsFire since, as it stands, the license is just going to waste. What useful features does NewsFire have that Safari doesn't?
  2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

Apr 29, 2005
    San Francisco
    I've used several RSS readers (Vienna, Safari, NewsFire, Firefox) and found that RSS is really not that complicated and regardless of features the best RSS reader is the most convenient reader which is my browser Firefox.

I know you feel guilty having a license and not using it, but RSS readers are just not complex enough to sweat over needing a separate program for just that function. Just keep using what works best for you: Safari.
  3. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Oct 31, 2005
    Twin Cities, MN
    I've tried most all of them, and I just like the layout, ease of Vienna more than any of the others that I've tried...
  4. Vinnie_vw macrumors 6502

Sep 16, 2005
    the Netherlands
    I also stick with Safari, after trying several others. It's just more convenient to have rss+browser in one and I love the summarise-slide to trim down feeds.
  5. epochblue macrumors 68000

Aug 12, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I'm a avid NewsFire user, but here's my typical party-line regarding RSS on the Mac...

If you're only subscribing to a few feeds (~20), Safari is probably all you need. If you're more like me and subscribing to about 200 feeds, NewsFire will provide you more power and flexibility (IMO). If you're totally hardcore and subscribe to 500+ feeds, you'll likely want NetNewsWire.

Vienna is a nice freeware option that I've used in the past, and it handled my 200ish feeds without issue.