NEWSFLASH: Dell Gives Into Apple

Discussion in 'iPod' started by applemax, Feb 5, 2006.

1. applemax macrumors 65816

applemax

We've long since noticed Dell's lineup of hard drive-based portable audio players have vanished from their site, but this they officially commented on the death of the drive-based segment of their Dell Pocket DJ (Digital Jukebox) line and made it official that those devices were phased out over the last two months. Apparently the DJ Ditty is doing just fine though, and they hinted at being a flash player-only shop from here on in. Can't says as we're surprised, but we're still always disappointed to see another iPod competitor drop off the map.

<Source: Engadget.com>

2. applemax thread starter macrumors 65816

applemax

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Wow, I actually didn't know Dell had cancelled their drive-based lineup. Thanks for sharing! :)

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

not surprising. their sales were horrible. and the interface and look of it never stood a chance.

btw, iGary was being sarcastic. :cool:

5. applemax thread starter macrumors 65816

applemax

6. ToastMaster macrumors regular

ToastMaster

What I like is that they were selling them at $300 even when the 5g iPods were selling for the same price (well, for a little while, at least). You can either pay $300 bucks for a top-of-the-line color-screened, photo, music, video-supporting, thinner, stylish media player, or pay the same price for a cheap, clunky knockoff. Hmmm. What a difficult decision.

(Dell did make the right choice with anonized aluminum for the DJ's body shape though. I wish they'd do that for regular iPods - that stuff is indestructible.)

7. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

8. applemax thread starter macrumors 65816

applemax

Dell is a fairly large computer company. It is a big rival to Apple and it runs on Microsoft. The main pro- Ah, Sarcasm... I gotta remember that;)

9. applemax thread starter macrumors 65816

applemax

10. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

11. macnews macrumors 6502a

macnews

Why journalists ignore?

This is great news, but I doubt you will hear about it like you do when some body announces an "iPod killer".

I just read a review about the DJ vs iPod which really missed the mark on the iPod - actually made the Ditty sound better. Wish the media would get it right for once!

The DJ Ditty vs iPod review is here:
    http://www.arbiteronline.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2006/02/02/43e2c46ba966b

12. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

We did? :p

13. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

For my Professional Practices class at Western we had a number of guest speakers from around the design community. One of the speakers was on the ad campaign for the Dell DJ Ditty. After one or two showings of the crazy commercials I almost got suicidal since most everyone wanted to watch each and every piece and the speakers was only to happy (a bit to happy if you ask me) to oblige.