Newsreader that can search across groups?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by abciximab, Dec 25, 2005.

1. abciximab macrumors newbie

I am a recent convert to Mac, and there is only one issue that has come up so far. I used to use NewsRover as my newsreader, and the one feature I liked about this program was its ability to search across several newsgroups, not just within one. Are there any Mac newsreaders that offer this feature? I've looked at a couple and haven't found that feature yet. Maybe I just haven't looked closely enough.......

Thanks for your help!

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Check out Unison.

3. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

Strangely, Unison cannot even search within a single group's window for text in article headers or content (I'm talking about searching among all available loaded headers, not within a single post). It's frustrating and seems like a big thing they really overlooked. I own Unison and I'm pretty happy with it, but they really need to add this feature.

4. maya macrumors 68040

maya

Not sure if this is what you are looking for, however it web based..give it a try.

http://www.marumushi.com/apps/newsmap/newsmap.cfm

It takes the google approach and collects the news from around the world and places them in a box that depends on how many articles share the same topic, etc...

You can custom it to whatever you want to look for. :)

5. radiantm3 macrumors 65816

radiantm3

I'm not sure if I understand you correctly, but Unison does search an entire group of loaded headers. It just doesn't search across groups. You can always use something like this site to search for content across all groups:
    http://www.binsearch.info/

6. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

Dunno, doesn't work for me, never has. If I have a group window open and open the find panel, it fails to find anything I type in, no matter if I have it set for whole file, selection, ignore case, or whatever. Doesn't work in any mode (any selected tab: messages, files, images, music). In fact it appears to do nothing at all. Same on three of my machines, and I have the latest versions of OS X and Unison. Is there something I'm missing?

7. radiantm3 macrumors 65816

radiantm3

That's strange. You should email panic support. They are very helpful and will probably help solve that issue.

8. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

used to newsleecher on pc

i realise this post was old, but i thought i would revive it, seeing as it's exactly what i am looking for - a newsreader which allows you to search across groups

i've been using newsleecher on pc for months now and the "super search" facility it has is excellent.. jusy enter search term and it searches all groups listed on the server.. surely there must be a mac equivalent..

i got mt newswatcher, and that keeps crashing so much, i have no idea why..

so i am evaluating unison, but even in their latest vesion (1.7?) i can't seem to work out if you can do the "super search" as in newsleecher.. all i could do was search for specific groups and then search within those..
    which can be a right pain if you're looking for a needle in a haystack! (or something has been posted in the wrong group!)

does anyone know if there is any newsreaders which o this?

i guess i only use a handful of groups, so could add the ones i know of to my favourites and then just conduct quick seaches within those, but it's nowhere near as neat as newsleecher (or usenext, for that matter)

thanks

9. rob finch macrumors member

I too would like something like this in a newsreader, but I have found Newzbin to be an able substitute.

HTH,

Rob.

10. sjshaw macrumors regular

I'm a big Unison fan, but I too would like the ability to search across all newsgroups on a server.

Doesn't that take forever, though?

11. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

nope.. in newsleecher it takes a couple of seconds to search across all the groups.. very nifty and was quite surprised when this feature has been omitted from all the mac os software i have been looking at..

12. sjshaw macrumors regular

I don't see how that's possible. Even if you downloaded every post from every newsgroup, it would still take a few seconds (at least) to search that massive amount of text.

13. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

try it.. if you have a windows pc or are boot camping, then download newsleecher and give the super search a shot to see what i mean.. once you see that, you'll wonder why all the other programs on mac os can't seem to do it.

14. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

The super search function in newsleecher isn't just in the client software, they run (and charge for) special servers that do the heavy lifting.

Once upon a time, more flexible search was going to be built into regular news servers, but it all got bogged down in the standards process :p Both Collabra and IIS had test versions implemented, but unfortunately the two were incompatible and no one else really adopted it.

15. sjshaw macrumors regular

Well, that makes more sense. I'll give it a try.

16. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

ahh ok!!.. i didnt know that..

17. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

using unison

just a query about unison software..

how do you search articles which are greater than a day old? or 30 days old?
    on newsleecher you could also specify the range for which you want to search..

all i see in unison is how many artciles to fetch - default 25000, but that isn't much good. how do you access ALL articles? I put in fetch 10000000, but i don't think that worked either.. any ideas?

thanks

18. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

Reply from Unison

I sent an email to Unison regarding the queries I had, comparing the features to Newsleecher..

Here's the response, if any of you are interested:

1) Is it not possible to search across groups?

Newsleecher takes advantage of a feature not supported by most news servers -- XPAT searching. With traditional usenet servers -- and in the case of Unison -- you can only search against the headers you've downloaded. Newsleecher (and a few others) maintain a searchable database, which allows you to search through content without actually fetching those headers. We'd love to add this functionality eventually, but the ability to use it would still be dependent on connecting to a XPAT-supporting server.

2) Can you refine the search to filter out how long ago the articles were posted? Ie (1 day, 7 days, 30 days etc..)

Not exactly. We're looking into beefing up Unison's search capabilities in an upcoming version. In the meantime, you can enter your search terms in the search field in the upper right of the window, then sort the search results by time/date. It's not exactly what you're looking for, but hopefully it's close enough.

3) How do you access more than 1 days posts?

Again, I think your trouble here is more related to the lack of XPAT searching, but it's true Unison won't allow you to grab headers based on the date (for example, "get all posts from the last x day(s)"). You'll want to set your item download limit accordingly, and then if you find you need to dig a bit deeper, just hit the "Get More" button to get older posts. For the record, "Get More" grabs older headers, and "Get Latest" grabs newer ones.