newton Lovers?

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by macEfan, Oct 3, 2005.

1. macEfan macrumors 65816

macEfan

Forbidden, you do not have access to that server
  2. Merf macrumors regular

I have a few I don't use then but I do love them. I have:
    2 broken emates (the usual screen problem)

Merf

3. macEfan thread starter macrumors 65816

macEfan

Forbidden, you do not have access to that server
    if U plan to get rid of any of them let me know :)

4. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

My everyday Newton is an MP2100

I also have an OMP, MP130 and an eMate.

I love them all :)

5. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

I would love to have one, only problem is, I don't know which one to get, or what software I would need, and or what I could use it for :eek: .

Would I get more use out of one of these then my Palm m100 (don't laugh I actually use it often) ?

[​IMG]

6. mkjj macrumors 6502a

mkjj

7. dual64bit macrumors 6502

Good Point, where do you get the software to make the newton work with OS 10.x ? :cool:

8. Spock macrumors 68000

Spock

I have a a MP 100 still in the box not sealed I couldnt take it but everything is in the box even the video and the Newton stickers. I also have 2 MP 120's I would like to get a eMate.

9. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

I have a Batcomputer (eMate), for which I need to rebuild the battery and get a wireless card. I figure my son can use it for schoolwork in a couple of years (we are homeschooling).

10. Flying Llama macrumors 6502a

Flying Llama

I never really paid attention to the newtons... where they just like mini computers?

llama :confused:

11. RacerX macrumors 65832

I have a MessagePad 120 that I take with me almost all the time.

I use NewTen and NewtSync... of course I also have a serial port on my system, I think you need an adapter to connect via USB.

12. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

Newtons are awesome, I like my eMate 300 the best because of the keyboard. The only thing I don't like about the Newton 2000 is the serial port that's different, I'd have to buy a $40 adapter to get it to work with my Mac ppfftt...but, for now I'll just send files to my Newton 2000 from my eMate 300 :p

I have:

Newton 130 (x2)
    Newton Fax Modem (x2)
    Newton 2000
    eMate 300

Long live the Newton! :D

13. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

so?

Is it worth me getting one? Do you see any application value for it? I would only want one if It could be used for minor finance, notes, or otherwise.

Let me know, I am itching to spend a little coin on something like this :)

[​IMG]

14. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

If your going to buy one make sure you have an old Macintosh with a serial port or you'll be unable to transfer files with your Newton. Also if you have a Mac with infa-red you can communicate with it too. Good luck ;)

15. RacerX macrumors 65832

Mine is synced with iCal and Address Book, and I have a number of books installed (as I recall I have the A/UX FAQs, IRIX installation guide and Time Machine currently on mine). I think most come with things like PocketQuicken (I done use stuff like that so I removed those types of apps) and there are places to download other software titles including NewtonWorks (though I would only suggest that with a MessagePad 2000 or better systems because it is really designed for a higher display resolution and keyboard).

Expansion isn't too bad. My 120 has one slot which I have used for a 4 MB card. There are 64 MB cards compatible with Newtons on ebay quite often, so space usually shouldn't be too much of an issue.

In my case, if I had more space I would just end up loading more books onto the system.

I can't recall all the places where you can get apps (I'll have to check, I'm pretty sure I have a list of sites somewhere), but I know that MIT's Info-Mac HyperArchive has a ton of Newton stuff so that is always a good place to start.

16. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Thanks, I think I could use it for that and have more power then my ipod for those current tasks. My ipod has several manpages that I rotate through it for X11 applications, and for my Linux laptop. Having more space for those, and less of a limitation on length will be great.

I guess I will have to sell the M100 (get maybe $20 for it) and invest in a newton

Thanks I will start looking for some on the web. I am also going to look up hardware specifications for these, and which model will have the easiest to replace batteries.

Regards,

[​IMG]

17. Sly macrumors 6502

Sly

I love Newton’s. I have every (Apple branded) model including a mint emate , but lets be honest here. The Newton is not what one might call “plug & play” with modern Macs. Setting it up to talk to you your Mac running OS X via USB will take time, lots of it, and a USB converter. You will also need an old school Mac or (if you must) a Windows PC to get the packages installed on the Newt. The Newton is big, not exactly pocket sized. Myth has it that the designers broke in to John Scully’s office with a tailor to re-size his jacket pockets. It is said Scully insisted that the device must be compact enough to fit in his pocket before he would sign off the design; the original Newton is the smallest of the Newton family. The MP1000 & 100 eat batteries really fast! The only time I used a Newton in a business meeting someone thought I had bought a pocket scanner with me, when I told them it was a PDA it took a good 5 minuets before everyone had stopped laughing enough to get on with the meeting. To be honest, if you are interested in old skool Apple hardware and revel in getting it to working with modern Mac’s then the Newton is awesome, however if you are looking for functionality you will be much better off buying one of the current crop of smart phones. If you decide to go Newt get a 2100 and a new rechargeable battery, software at http://www.unna.org/ or books at http://newton.tek-ed.com/

18. RacerX macrumors 65832

The only amount of time I would think one would need is the time needed to find a serial to USB adapter.

Beyond that (seeing as I have a system with a serial port)... my Newton has been no trouble at all. NewtSync syncs all my data between my system and my Newton.

I pointed out NewTen earlier in this thread... it is a package installer for Newtons. Why would you need an old school Mac or a Windows PC?

I have a ton of older Macs that work just fine with my Newton... and I haven't used any of them with it in years. My Newton plays just as nicely with my primary system running Mac OS X as it did with any of my pre-Mac OS X systems.

As for the size issue, a smaller Newton and a larger (tablet size) Newton were the original design goals. It was decided to merge the two projects to try and get the functionality of the tablet version into a case that was as small as possible. That was how we ended up with the size of the Newtons.

Apple wanted the Newton to be everything while their competition (the Palm Pilot) had only the most basic features to help keep the size down.

19. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Thanks for the info, as stated by yourself and LimeiBook, I need a classic Macintosh with a serial port. I think I can dig that up from something in my collection. Otherwise, I have 3 with IRDA :) .

Regards,

[​IMG]

20. Sly macrumors 6502

Sly

I think it would be fair to say - seeing what you have done with Rhapsody etc (which by the way I think is pretty cool, I have been scanning ebay for old - cheap Rhapsody, OSX Server disks for some while now) that you are more techie minded than most. I was just suggesting that for your average Joe (which I'm not suggesting for even for a minute includes 840quadra!) running a Newt on a daily basis is not a particularly practical proposition. I wouldn't want someone to buy a Newton expecting it to be just like using a modern PDA, its clearly not. Is it a lot of fun to use on a non-serious basis - yes.

21. RacerX macrumors 65832

That is a fair assessment... the tools aren't that easy to find and there are technical hurdles (most due to the lack of documentation compared to what existed back when these were new).

Well, this copy (of Mac OS X Server 1.0) is a little pricey at $99 (considering that the last few times I saw it on ebay it sold for around $40-$50) but it seems to be available.

One thing to keep in mind is that 1.0 won't run on any of the G4 systems, but should be fine for PowerPC 604/604e and most early G3 systems. The update to 1.0.2 is a free download (I have a link to it on my site). Also, this may have been one of the silkscreen misprints that gives the version as 1.1... it is actually 1.0 (there was no 1.1 for Mac OS X Server).

22. cubist macrumors 68020

You only need the serial adapter once, to load the drivers for an ethernet card onto your flash card. Once you've done that, syncing thru ethernet works like a charm, and it's much faster.

23. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

IRDA is pretty sluggish, all you need is an old Mac with a CD-ROM drive, serial-port and be able to have an internet connect, then your Newton is open to a world of programs!

This is one of the great pages for Newton stuff
    http://www.unna.org/
    but it seems to be down at the moment, enjoy your Newton! :D

24. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86