Newton OS 3?

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc. Rumors' started by kainjow, Feb 12, 2002.

1. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

I've recently seen a post on this website (I think, maybe another) that talked about how Apple was close to finishing their new OS for a new handheld? It appears as if it's gone or something. Anybody know anything about this? I would die just to own an Apple pda or handheld device.

It was called "Navi" or something? Looked very interesting....

-kainjow

2. Doraemon macrumors 6502

As it has been noted over and over again Apple is NOT developing a new PDA. And it is very doubtful that they're wasting their time with something like Newton OS 3.

3. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

4. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Re: Newton OS 3?

Nope, somebody's fantasy. Probably an anime fanboy, too. Check out Serial Experiments Lain.

5. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

WRONG!!

the article in question is from 1997. I don't think this is a real good indicator. I wouldn't mind an Apple PDA, though.

6. bond2 macrumors newbie

iWalk

I know how much you all hate this topic, but I have to just throw it out there for you. I still have the three iWalk videos on my Mac. I have gone over them over and over again. I know video pretty well, and there is no possible way these where faked. If not Apple, then somebody, and engineer I guess made an incredible PDA with an updated Newton OS w/ some Aqua touches to it. How can you guys watch those videos and tell me that they where faked? That PDA or beta Apple PDA is definetely out there somewhere. Apple risked entering the MP3 player marketplace which hadn't been all that profitable.....and hey guess what they succeeded with a product that cost twice that of most other MP3 players on the market. I have one! Apple needs to realize they will never be the biggest and have a high % of the market.....but they have the most loyal group of followers of any product in any marketplace I have ever seen. Apple users are devoted to Apple and will buy whatever Apple makes. If they brought out a device like that iWalk.....you know almost all of us would most likely get it, so don't be so pessimistic. This site is for rumors right? The iWalk might be the biggest rumor next to only the G5. Just my thoughts, no need for an aerial assult on me!!

-Jeff

7. OSeXy! macrumors regular

8. OnAShelf macrumors newbie

Aqua interface

Has anyone bought something at an Apple Store? If you use your credit card you sign your name on the little computer screen (as is common these days), and tap the "okay" button. And its got an amazing Aqua interface. Hmmm... Handwriting recognition (or at least touch sensitive screen with data transfer capabilities) and an Aqua-style form submit button. Maybe thats the use of the amazing new Newton 3 operating system ;)

I still don't have any use for a pda. But I would love iPod to have some way to transfer my digital pictures from my camera directly on to it for storage (usb ports with firmware driver support?) so I can travel, take lots of pictures and listen to tunes with my conveinient iPod without carrying several compactflash cards... Just a thought.

9. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

If you had the choice between:

• Apple PDA
    • PocketPC PDA
    • Palm OS PDA

Which one would you get?

I know which one I would!

10. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Re: WRONG!!

Gosh, a link to the article would help a lot, since you and kainjow seem to be the ones who have seen it.

11. palala macrumors member

Videos

Do you have a link or something to these iWalk movies? I would love to see them.

12. bond2 macrumors newbie

Apple's new Wireless deal

Please go read this article and then tell me that Apple isn't getting prepared to release an All wireless PDA in the next year or so.

Apple, Sun, Ericcson Wireless Deal

13. theranch macrumors 6502

for Bond2

I don't know you personally but since you said that you know video pretty well..... I would have to say that you don't, sorry. You have to look at the jittering "pda" under the just written words. There is no mistake that these are fake. There was another debunk that I had but I threw those video's out soooo long ago I don't remember what it was.
    Try doubling the size of the video when you watch it. Not to say that Apple isn't working on something but the iWalk videos are most definitely fake.

14. madamimadam macrumors 65816

madamimadam

Re: iWalk

Can anyone help me see these videos?
    I never got to see them, the site did not work when I went there ages back

15. chmorley macrumors 6502a

chmorley

Fake as Pam Anderson's...nails

Those videos were very obviously faked. The wheel jumps 7 seconds in, there are artifacts (e.g., flashing cursor in upper left) from retouching, the screen moves and the writing stays in place.

I couldn't find the original videos (probably a good thing--someone would think they were real), but here are two sites that go through debunking the videos:
    http://www.randommaccess.com/newspro/articles/1010163385.shtml
    http://www.insanely-great.com/news/01/1328.html

Still, it's funny to me that people want so badly for it to be true that the topic keeps coming up. We Mac users seem pretty unhappy with our PDA options. However, Jobs has been clear on this topic in no uncertain terms. It would be great, but...

Sorry.

Chris

16. madamimadam macrumors 65816

madamimadam

Re: Apple's new Wireless deal

I don't know how that proves anything really. It just shows that Ericcson is using QT in a very intelligent way

17. TiMacLover macrumors 6502

I Have The Videos

I have all 3 videos and over 15 pictures and if anyone wants them email me TiMacLover@mac.com or my AOL AIM screen name: got 007s milk. In my opinion these videos are real, I belive in them for all they are some sad there would be no LCD iMacs when I knew one month before then came out but I could not tell. I had OS X.1 before it came out and 9.2.1. So this is real and if i see a PDA by MWNY I WILL BUY THIS, I love newtons and Id love this soo much more!

18. ibjoshua macrumors 6502a

ibjoshua

definitely faked functionality

i agree with just about everything that has been said here (and i'm referring to the original thread a few weeks ago too) about the 'composite' nature of those videos.

i think the point that someone made recently that the site they were off is the only site that insists on showing videos of its 'scoops' - which consequently get debunked, is an important one.

what i find odd is that no one seems to consider that these may not have been videos of a production or prototype model but just a design mock-up to show how an iWalk PDA may work.

having said that i think it's probably not the case. i just wanted to point out that just because the technology wasn't realised in those videos doesn't mean that they're not really from apple.

well that's my 2 cents worth

19. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Re: Fake as Pam Anderson's...nails

Here's a site that debunks the "cube" images that were leaked...

http://web.archive.org/web/20001019021516/http://www.themacjunkie.com/archives/7.18.00.cube.html

oh wait - that was real... :)

Just goes to show that I put no-faith in all the "experts" that emerge when something like this comes out... As well, one of the arguements that the iWalk videos were faked were the handwriting recognition was too flexible/accurate... these people obviously had never seen a Newton - which has the exact same HWR

Now, I don't think the iWalk videos are real either... but for my own reasons... I just want to point out - don't listen to self-appointed experts...

arn

20. ibjoshua macrumors 6502a

ibjoshua

Re: Re: Fake as Pam Anderson's...nails

hear hear arn!

that was pretty much what i was getting at.

21. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

Yo, the Apple site- Hotnews says that the Apple and Ericsson and Sun thing is for making wireless PDAs with MPEG-4 support.

This is new right? I mean, Apple admitting that they're making a PDA..... so the iWalk is real, huh? At least, maybe that was a test model?

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2002/feb/12wireless.html

Check out the article.

irmongoose

22. AJW macrumors newbie

The article makes it sound like Ericsson will do the hardware, Sun the infrastructure, and Apple the QuickTime technology.

23. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 68040

T'hain Esh Kelch

Re: I Have The Videos

Okay, so you knew that flatscreen imac's was comming? Wauw... :rolleyes:
    And everyone that uses Hotline/Carracho have access to every OS before it comes out, so whats the big deal ? :rolleyes:
    Furthermore, just because you have this video, you think that it's real ? Geez... I hope someone doesnt show you a picture of a real living (Not costume) Tele-Tubbi.. :rolleyes:
    *LOL* You must be an insider!!!! :D :D :D

24. bond2 macrumors newbie

On my side

Well I expected most of you to disagree with me on all the iWalk stuff, but surprisingly alot of you still have some hope. About the videos being fake....i dunno man. You would have to be pretty good to fake something like that. I have watched people's videos of their old Newtons and it looks exactly the same basically just with the updated aqua interface. It would help if I could read what all the menus are, the video just isn't quite clear enough for me to read. If anyone needs the videos just email me at aol.com under the same name.

One more thing why do you guys get so pissed when we talk about this subject? Is it b/c you truly believe Apple will never make one again, or is it b/c you really wish they would and it is driving you crazy that you have no idea, so you just bash people for talking about it? I don't want to argue with you guys, I guess I am just more optimistic when it comes to this topic.

25. TiMacLover macrumors 6502

G5 Information

How many you have seen a G5?:) Yea thats what I thought...