Newton still viable PDA option?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by LethalWolfe, Aug 2, 2002.

1. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

With all the talk of PDAs and Newtons, and such it got me thinking about getting a Newton. But I don't know that much about them. Are they still a viable option? All I want is the basics (organizer, address book, quick notes, etc.,,). Would it be completly stand alone, or can I sync it w/OS X? Are there any trust worthy retailers that self refurbished Newtons, or is my only real choice eBay? How easy would it be to get replacement batteries and the like if things break or get lost? How many different models of Newton are availible?

Yes, I know google is my friend, but it's late and I'm tired an lazy. :)

Lethal

2. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

I use my Newton MP2100 for notes, contacts, calendar, etc. There's a program being developed called NewTen that allows you to install packages onto the Newton using OS X, but as for syncing... sorry! Your best bet on getting a Newton is eBay, without a doubt. And Apple actually still sells Newton replacement parts.

Check out: http://www.chuma.org/newton/
    and
    http://www.thisoldnewt.com (it appears to be down right now)

And if you do a search in Google, you'll find some more good resources too.

There's the OMP (Original MessagePad), MP100, 110, 120, 130, 2000 and 2100, and the eMate. If you want my honest opinion, only go for the 2000 or 2100, because they use a 162MHz StrongArm processor. The rest run a 20 or 25MHz ARM and are DOG slow.

For more info on the complete line of Newtons:

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/messagepad/index.html

3. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

It still amazes me that an old thing like the Newton is STILL faster than all the palms and many pocket pcs. It was ahead of its time... Too bad SJ decided to make the retarded mistake of cancelling it.:mad:

4. LethalWolfe thread starter macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Thanx for the info and linx Hemingray! :) But what does "installing packages" onto the Newton mean?

And I agree topicolo, it is very impressive how ahead of it's time the Newton was, and that years later it's still useful.

Lethal

5. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Packages for the Newton are just like packages for OS X: installers that create programs to run under the OS (NewtonOS, in this case.) NewTen basically allows you to install add-on programs to your Newton, like games, email and web browsers, etc.

If you have an older PowerMac hanging around, like me, that I keep to run OS 9 on, you can run the old Newton Connection Utilities that will allow you to install and download packages from your Newton, backup your data, and import/export files.

6. LethalWolfe thread starter macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

How does the Newton compare to Palm OS PDA's? Not like top of the line ones, but how would it stack up to a $100 (give or take) PDA?

Lethal

7. -hh macrumors 68020

-hh

Its a brick!

I have a friend who's still using a Newton. It does the trick, just like you can say that a Mac SE still runs MacWrite :)

The thing that I'd shy away from is that the Newton is huge by today's PDA standards. I've found the Palm V footprint (er, "pocketprint" ;) ) is very convenient and IMO, worth giving up some features for.

-hh