Newton VS Palm

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by nickyj182, Feb 27, 2002.

1. nickyj182 macrumors regular

nickyj182

Hi, I have a question for all of you PDA maniacs out there. I am considering purchasing a low end PDA. But, knowing us apple users, I am a true MacAddict. I would love to pick up anything apple related, and this seems like a good chance to pick up the old Apple Newton off of eBay. Can anyone give me a comparison of the two systems? The pros and the cons, everything you can! Is the old Apple Newton a worthy contender VS a new low end Palm PDA? Thanks!

2. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    Tough one...

I have owned Newton 2000 and I currently have a Handspring Visor Deluxe (a Palm clone). I would have to say that the Newton was a much better machine. More exapandable, faster in some cases, bigger screen..... BUT, he only reason I do not reccomend a Newton to you is it's size. It is a large machine, way too big to be a PDA. I would go with the Palm for now and hope that someday Apple can bring the features of the Newton to a palm and keep the same small size.

-idkew

Ti G4 667/1GB/48GB/Airport
    Blue Handspring Visor Deluxe

3. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

The Newton MessagePad is a great PDA. But the 100-130 series are SLOW! You can get a model 2000, but if you want a backlight, get the 2100. They're still pretty expensive though! They run upwards of $300 on eBay. But you get what you pay for...

4. markeleven macrumors newbie

I have owned both a Newton 2100 and a Handspring Visor. THe Newt was a good travel companion and much more of a 'computer' than the Visor. I could do email/spreadsheet/text documents/database stuff from my Newt, but it is also significantly larger and heavier. Too big to make it a PDA but if you look at it as a small computer then it is a different story.

5. NewtonMan macrumors newbie

I owned a Newton 100, 120, and use a 2000 right now. I also have an old Palm.

The only reason not to buy a Newton is it's size, it is like a VHS cassette. So if you need something that is really small and that you can put in your pocket, you have to get some kind of Palm device.

But that is really the only reason. The Newton can do much more than the Palm and handwriting recognition is much better. There are several email clients, web browsers, TV remote controls, spreadsheets, wordprocessors ect. You can even sync it with iTunes now (it low quality and it does not have a 5 gig HD, though). You can use a modem card, ethernet and several different memory cards with the Newton. And just to make it clear the only difference between the 2000 and the 2100 is the memory (both have backlights). An upgraded Newton 2000 is the same as the original 2100 except the different logos on the case.

So if you want to carry a little extra weight, get a Newton! You will not regred it.

6. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

You're absolutely right. I was getting mixed up with the MP 120/130. Sorry! And I'd like to correct my previous post:

The cost of MP 2100's on eBay right now is at a big-time low! Now is the time to get one!

I just got one today for $105. :) Not bad!! :D I'm sure happy.