Next Apple Mouse?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Zwhaler, Jun 22, 2006.

1. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

To me, Apple really kinda messed up on this one. The Mighty Mouse seemed like a good idea, and I also believe that Apple is a little late to get in on some sort of scroll feature on a mouse. For one, the side buttons are a complete joke, and I have heard of people getting muscle cramps from using it. I also think that Apple should come out with some sort of Wireless-Mighty Mouse.

But for their next mouse, they need to make some imporvements.

2. lifeisgood360 macrumors newbie

well to me, apple did a splendid job on designing the mighty mouse. i absolutely love mine--especially the small scrolly wheel that does 360. I have never gotten cramps from using the side buttons and I use it so often that even when I'm using my other mice on my other computers, I accidentally squish the sides of the mice thinking these have the sidebutton feature. oh well, they don't haha. and, unlike many people's complaints, I've never had a single problem with my mighty mouse. so who knows :confused: maybe i was lucky eh?

3. Aperture macrumors 68000

Aperture

I love my Mighty Mouse as well. I use the scroll wheel all the time as well as the side buttons. My fingers do start to ache after a while though, so i'll give you that. Anyway, they do have a wireless one. Bluetooth.;)

Kevin

Edit: After I wrote this I started thinking and went to the Apple Site. I never knew that the Bluetooth Mouse didn't have all the features of the Mighty Mouse. Sorry for saying that!

4. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

My fingers start to ache from my PC Microsoft mouse. It isn't the Might Mouse that's cramping your hand, it's that second button.

5. celebrian23 macrumors 65816

celebrian23

I don't like the mighty mouse. I don't have any logical reasons though :) If they had wireless BT one though I might try it out if they tweaked the design just a wee bit

6. AvSRoCkCO1067 macrumors 65816

AvSRoCkCO1067

My right click works only 50% of the time, but the side buttons/360 degree scroll wheel are fantastic, so I give the Mighty Mouse one and three-quarters thumbs up :p .

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

My vote is that Apple will abandonware the Mighty Mouse and go back to the one button mice....

8. coopdig macrumors member

Before I sold my G5 iMac in order to sund the purchase of my new macbook I had a mighty mouse;
    Overall, I think the features were great -- the 360 scrolling; the 5(!) buttons -- all very useful.
    As per the side-buttons, not only did I find them extremely handy (I programed mine to clear the screen of all open windows, so I could get at the desktop quickly), and nicely inconspicuous (out of the way--all the use of a programmable button with no real "button" protruding from the mouse).
    To be honest, I think it's a bit odd to complain about the side buttons; it seems to me that any cramping one might experience would probably have more to do with the size and strength of one's hand than with the mouse itself. Personally, I never had a problem with that.

The only *complaint* I would level against the MM is that the trackball would requiring cleaning very often, and the cleaning took forever as there was no way to really get at the mouse-ball and socket. No big deal, though, and, as others haven't complained about that, that problem may somehow have been fixed in later production of the MM (I got mine right after they came out).

9. gallagb macrumors 6502

gallagb

used mighty mouse today in the store...

and again found it super easy to use and so perfect for my hand!

pity i don't want the extra wire on my desk...

the bluetooth apple mouse works for me!

10. Wolfgang macrumors member

I think that the Mighty Mouse is awesome. The scroll ball is really nice w/ the horizontal scrolling esp in GarageBand and iMovie. Ive never gotten cramps from using the side buttons and i use them all the time for expose. The middle button is also really nice.

11. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

I have to second this notion. :)

12. janey macrumors 603

janey

Mighty mouse sucks. I don't want to relearn how I use the mouse just for that dumb mouse that f***s up every single time i want to click.

13. iShane macrumors 6502a

I love my Mighty Mouse too. I never get cramped and I use the scroll ball all the time. I also like squeezing the sides for Expose. Like a poster above me said, sometimes when I'm not using the Mighty Mouse I accidently squeeze the sides too. :eek:

14. NYmacAttack macrumors 6502

NYmacAttack

I would love to see a BT mighty mouse. I would assume its only a matter of time before apple fills the market void.

15. kyleaa macrumors regular

I definitely think they could have done better, the right click mainly being the biggest issue. I notice it most under windows in boot camp, the right button has to be pushed VERY hard for it to register, a problem with gaming. However, I can't imagine anyone could get a cramp from using the side buttons unless they are pushing them way to hard. I can activate it by just pressing one of them lightly with my thumb (but not light enough to do it on accident). I really wish you could configure the side buttons independently, since it clearly only takes one to trigger it anyways. I also want an option for browser back/forward to assign to buttons (Odd, because it appears in windows under boot camp, but not for osx)

16. janey macrumors 603

janey

Actually my biggest pet peeve with the mighty mouse is the fact that the little scrolling nub thing is way too easy to nudge accidentally. Blows.

Also, considering how I could have my pick among at least a dozen good wired and wireless mice (well, for starters, basically any of logitech or microsoft's mice, and the razer gaming mice) for the same price as the mighty mouse, not worth it.

Oh yeh, it also feels like I'm rubbing the mouse on sandpaper or something every time i use it. Teflon feet ftw, apple needs to use them so I don't have to add them.

17. Xeem macrumors 6502a

Xeem

My Mighty Mouse thoughts are mixed. My dad has one of them, and I've used it to game over a period of a few hours on more than one occasion (when I accidentally leave both my Logitech Mediaplay and Kensington Pilot mice with my PC). My hand cramped up significantly all three times, whereas I have never experienced cramping on any multi-button mice before (or any one-button Apple mice, which I have used for countless hours on end). The right mouse button definitely needs work; it was much too easy for me to accidentally left click. The side buttons are also frustrating: not only are they inconveniently forward-placed, but they are linked together rather than allowing them to work as separate buttons. I have to have both forward and back buttons on my mice for both browsing and games. On the positive side, I love the scroll ball (it works beautifully) and I believe that the aesthetics are quite nice as well. If they released a Bluetooth version, especially one in the color black, I might consider one for myself for tasks other than gaming.

18. JackSYi macrumors 6502a

I think the Mighty Mouse is a love-it or hate-it Apple product. I love it. It is innovative but I think Apple can definitely refine the product.

19. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

Meh. I like my Black Pro Mouse.

I didnt like the MM that much. When I need multi-button and scroll, I just plug in a MS Optical Wheel Mouse. Very comfy, very nice, and I got an F***load of em.

20. JackSYi macrumors 6502a

Yeah, they should bring back the black Pro Apple mouse and keyboards.