Next Gen Airport Extreme Base Station?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MythicFrost, Feb 8, 2013.

1. macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

Hi,

I'm waiting on the next gen AEBS. Does anyone have any idea on when it might be released? There hasn't really been much, if anything, about it.

2. macrumors P6

Weaselboy

Probably around mid-year to coincide with new Haswell chipset based Mac portables, which hopefully will support the new 802.11ac wifi standard.

Not much point in Apple releasing a new 802.11ac router now since they have no client devices that support it. JMO

3. thread starter macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

That's a good point, thanks.

4. macrumors newbie

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but why doesn't Apple have any devices supporting 802.11ac?

Also, how much improvement can we expect in the new Airport Extreme? I have the 5th generation now and I am wondering if I would have any reason to buy.

Thanks in advance for any reply!

5. thread starter macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

It's only a recent standard. I think it's just been approved (or something like that) so the next generation Macs should support the standard.

6. macrumors P6

Weaselboy

Here is a bit of background. It is a very new standard and actually still in "draft" form. Theoretically it could support up to 1 gigabit per second, so almost double the current 802.11n standard.

7. macrumors newbie

I have an 802.11ac router with a media bridge attached to my iMac. I get near gigabit speeds.