Next Gen Console & Software Price Speculation Thread.

Discussion in 'Games' started by Macamus Prime, May 18, 2005.

1. Macamus Prime macrumors regular

XBox 360 = $299 to $399
    Well, some say this will vary, because its speculated that a stripped down version of the XBox will be launched as well (one with out an HD). These numbers have been kicked around for some time by many web sites.

Revolution = $199 to $299
    Nintendo stated that the Rev will be 2 to 3 times more powerful than current gen systems. I don't think it should cost more than $300. I would go as far as saying that Nintendo will launch at $249 for the Revolution.

PS3 = $499 to $599
    OK, calm down, I will explain. This may possibly be the 1st Blu Ray DVD player in the US market, it has 1/2 gig memory and plays almost every Playstation game created since the 90s. Also: http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/05/18/news_6125423.html

I think the PS3 will be the most expensive next gen console. And to be honest the specs alone do justify the price. However, there is NO way I am spending that amount of money on a game system. I would have to sell ALL of my current hardware (XBox, Gamecube, PS2 Slim, DS & PSP) to get it. I don't see myself buying the PS3 at launch. IF the PS3 games are as wonderful as Sony wants me to believe (Killzone works exactly like they showed it - no, better) then I will give some serious thought. But otherwise, it will be a wait and see, followed by a price drop.

Now, the games. EGM has an interesting article in its current issue. Stating that EA had trouble meeting demand for a special edition of Madden. Also, Doom 3 special edition sold really well. The special editions cost $60. EGM stated that this told publishers and developers gamers are willing to pay a bit more for games. I would not be surprised if launch titles go for $59.99 maybe even $69.99. I see an increase in the price of games.

What are your thoughts? Feel free to add/correct where you see fit.

And, remember this is all speculation.

2. kaltsasa macrumors 6502a

Thats from IGN, so looks like the PS3 will be at least $399

I figure Microsoft will want the Xbox 360 to be $299 though, with the Hard Drive being detatchable, I wouldn't doubt if thats a HD'less unit. Making different models of your system, bad bad choice.

Nintendo is always about the mass market appeal, I'm guessing they will try to position their system at a $199 price point, however with everything it will include I would expect mabye a $249 starting price. They did launch the Gamecube at $199 so it's certainly in the realm of possiblity.

Softwarewise, Nintendo's got the franchises I want to play, and looks like some innovation to back that up to boot. Plus with my large library of Cube games thats what my money's on. But with Backwards compatablity across the board thats going to be a significant feature. People may buy what they have now just because they have compatable games already. Or could go the otherway, if I buy this new console I have access to a huge library of these games already out. Nintendo's online access to NES, SNES, and N64 games might be a pretty big pull too depending on the cost.

To Recap

PS3 = $399
    Xbox 360 = $349
    Nintendo = $249

3. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

PS3 $299 - 399
    Xbox 360 $299
    Revolution $249

Those are my guesses, especially since those are the maximum prices the above companies have every launched consoles at ($299 for Sony, not $399). I would normally guess $299 for Sony, but after the hefty price tag on the PSP...

4. takao macrumors 68040

takao

close to mine but perhaps i would add more on ps3 with having blue ray and xbox 360 with having the advantage of starting first (and charging more)

so make that :
    ps3: 399-449
    360: 349 but more like 399
    revo: while i guess they are aiming for the 200 range i think with all the new tech it will be more like 250 ...

5. xli_ne macrumors 6502a

xli_ne

Xbox 360 = $349.99
    ps3 = $399.99
    Revolution = $249.99

xbox will likely drop their price to 299.99 or cheaper when the ps3 comes around. They have also said that Halo 3 will be released same time as the ps3, so maybe a bundle with the game and system, who knows.

The Revolution will be the cheapest. It will have to be because it doesn't sound like it has all the multimedia options like the other two will

6. SurfAddict macrumors member

SurfAddict

Well if the ps3 launches at 400 dollars or more their is no way they are going to have any immediate sucess nobody in the mainstream would even consider this especially considering how good the last generation of consoles still look. I'm one of the early adopters of systems I always get them when they come out but even I wouldn't spend that much on a playstation. I'm a total xbox fanboy (but I do like all the systems the each have their strengths and weaknesses, especially by genre of game) but the max I would be willing to spend on a launch 360 is 350 dollars so heres to keeping those prices reasonable for us early adopters. I believe the detachable 20 gb hd is standard across even the lowest tier xbox but I think their might be more expensive models with a larger built on one. I'll need to buy the wi-fi adapter to since my linksys game adapter no longer wants to talk to my belkin wireless system

7. kaltsasa macrumors 6502a

When looking at the Spec's I would tend to agree, but historically "superior" consoles priced over $299 have faired very poorly in the market. I don't see consumers dropping 400-500 dollars for a game system, regardless of it's graphics or next gen DVD playing prowess. And I don't think any of these companies are that stupid either. And we know Microsoft is willing to take heavy losses on the console hardware, I suspect Sony is willing to go just as far. IN that same regard I fear that these companys may try to bump AAA games up to $60 at launch to try and perhaps get a bit of that back in money on licencing(since that is where the meat of the profits are anyway).

8. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

In one of the papers today they had the PS3 down at £200, and the 360 at £185. I can't see it, but that's what they said...personally I reckon £300 for either at first.

9. Jadeite312 macrumors newbie

Remember sony, microsoft and nintendo make the main money from game sales not there systems. Think of it this way, Gillette loses money on the razors it sells like the Mach 3 but makes a killing in the blades refills. The xbox360 and ps3 will be priced around the same. As for Nintendo what were they thinking looking at the specs of there new system.

10. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I agree with these.

11. Tech^salvager macrumors regular

same here

12. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Not quite; Nintendo actually profits on the blades AND the razors.
    Microsoft DIDN'T make money :D

Only Sony follows that strategy.

13. debroglie macrumors 6502a

debroglie

nintendo sells blades and razors... and people say they market towards children :eek:

;)

14. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

Well of course the obvious one:

Revolution, $149

Nintendo never made "groundbreaking" consoles since the N64 - the GameCube was a total failure for Nintendo, so the revolution, while it may be powerful, will be a little $150, while the GCN (gamecube) will drop to $70... But, of course, there will be add-ons to the NRVLTION that will let Nintendo make money.

Then the easiest one:

XBOX 360, $299

More than double the price of the NRVLTION, the 360 also is more "worth it" to buy. Plus, PowerPC, the new standard stuff like DVD vs. buying an add-on (etc, etc...), and the strong launch lineup will help boost sales, so why should it be any more than this? Plus, the 360 is definately not worth anything above this.

The most expensive but greatest one:

PlayStation 3, $449

CELL processor, Blu-Ray, 2 TeraFlops, AND two AMAZING graphics cards. Need I say more?

-------

WHY THE HELL DID PLAYSTATION CHOOSE TO USE THE SPIDERMAN FONT FOR THE PS3???

15. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

what i think/hope they'll cost:
    360: $360'd be cool, sorta...although $350 sounds closer. it will be the first so it can afford to be more expensive, then drop when the ps3 hits, but 350 would put it at more than twice the current consoles. quite a predicament.
    PS3: $299. if it's priced along with the xbox 360 it'll make a killing cause of specs alone--but more and the average parent buying their kid a toy or w/e won't look at specs unless they cost the same.
    Rev: $299 if it's true about dl'able old games. $249 if it's not and if its online is as bad as current gamecube

the max i'd pay based on specs/library/coolness/various reasons:
    360: $499
    PS3: $549
    Rev: if i didn't hate nintendo $299, but as it stands: 50 bucks.

16. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

Wow, way too low. The Revolution will be at the very least $200.

Has anyone heard the rumor that next gen. games will be $60?

17. themacman macrumors 6502

the PS3 can not be that highly priced. They would loose so much market share over Xbox 360

18. kaltsasa macrumors 6502a

GameCube was hardly a failure. Nintendo is raking in profit's hand over feet, even on the GC. Not to mention world wide they have essentually identical console sales numbers to Microsoft(and arguably better games IMHO to back that up).

19. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I should point out this is completely incorrect- Nintendo never made that statement. An article published that, but a second article came shortly after claiming that number (2 to 3 times) as an error and saying it will be equivilant to the competing systems from Sony and Microsoft.

IGN and a few other sites, sadly, only quoted the first article, spreading this false news :(

20. Macamus Prime thread starter macrumors regular

:D

21. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I highly disagree with this. Firstly, that rumor came about due to people being idiots. They assumed that since it's as powerful as $1000 worth of current gen hardware, it would therefore be very expensive. But in reality, heck, the current Geforce 7800 GTX outperforms two Geforce 6800 Ultra's with an SLI setup, yet costs the same as one of them did at the time that article was posted. Remember, generation gaps are huge.

Ignore that article.

Anyway;

Let's make a quick comparison. Those hardware nerds among us know that the PS3 and XBox 360 are similar power-wise. Neither has a definite advantage. Although they each are better in different areas.

Basicly, the PS3 is about the equivilant of an XBox 360 ($299, no hard drive), replacing RF with Bluetooth, adding WiFi, and adding Blu-ray. 802.11b can be extremely cheap nowadays; I wouldn't be surprised if it cost them $10-$20 to add on. And I doubt a Blu-ray READER at a measly 2x will cost more than $80, especially since Blu-ray players should be out before the PS3 is.

Therefore, I expect the PS3 to cost $399 for the core system and $499 with a hard drive and extras included.

EDIT: Crap, just realized that this is an EXTREMELY old thread.

22. floyde macrumors 6502a

floyde

I really hope they are wrong (EGM). I think gamers are willing to pay a bit more for some games (the most popular titles) but not all of them. Plus, console games have tendency to be short, I wouldn't be happy to pay $70 for a game I could finish in a weekend. Besides, there is no way they can justify that price to consumers, consoles have improved, but game development takes the same ammount of effort/time/money it did a few years ago.

23. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

god, you americans. Game UK are selling brand new games for £35-40 in shops. thats about $60. and they are current gen. online shops have them cheaper, but a lot of people are buying from Game.

you have nothing to complain about.

24. floyde macrumors 6502a

floyde

Lol, is this a reply to my post? I'm not American :rolleyes: , that's why I complain. Around here games cost around 800 pesos. That's about $80. "Cool" or recently released games can be sold for as much as $100.

The price of a game is linked to the US price and it's something like this: US price + Import taxes + "Coolness". So if game prices go up in the US I'll probably have to pay something like $100 for regular games and $120 for new releases.

It's probably similar in the UK. Think about it this way, would you like to pay £50 for a game?

25. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

Xbox 360 Core System - 299, Includes Machine, AV cable, power cable, wired controller, Xbox Live Silver

Xbox 360 System - 399, Includes Machine, Component/AV Cable, 20 GB Removable Hard Disk Drive, Power Cable, Wireless Controller and Charger, Headset, Ethernet Cable, and for a limited time, Remote Control

Sony PS3 - 500? X_x'

Ken Kutaragi was talking about how much harder folks are gonna have to work for their PS3s. The guy is f***ing bonkers.

Revolution - Probably 200-300 at most. Pretty much all Nintendo consoles have launched at the 200 dollar price mark. NES, SNES, N64, and GC. 200 is the Nintendo launch price staple.